The Vinyl Thread

The dual intro thing and hologram are pretty awesome. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

thats what you get to do when you own your own recording studio / record pressing shop . Jack White has the set up here in Detroit and Nashville. https://thirdmanrecords.com/

3 Likes

exactly how I was able to discover a lot of new music

3 Likes

… but have you seen my records ? :wink:

1 Like

These 4 LPs have aged pretty well, still inspirational. Each track creates a scenery in the minds eye. After their mainstream success with “The Race” in the later 80ies I lost intrest in the band. Every new song after that sounded the same to me.

6 Likes

These are rad. Def checking them out.

2 Likes

Don’t know how I missed this thread! Quite an avid record collector but it’s dorpped off a bit since I started soending all my spare cash on electrical kit and art supplies… Mostly collect UK Dance stuff - vinyl is still the primary medium (imo) for dubstep, drum and bass, jungle that kind of thing. Got a few good dubplates over the years which is fun. Also collect dub/reggae (but it’s far too expensive for the good stuff), little bits of techno here and there and weirdly a little pocket of 70s gospel music (they’re a sample goldmine).

Fav bits in my collection are probably a dubplate of this I got before general release:

And some of the old Tom and Jerry stuff, which has turned pretty collectable as of late

4 Likes

That Gorgon Sound is pretty epic. How would you classify that? Sounds like dub and jungle without the amen break and half tempo. Or, rather, not double tempo.

2 Likes

So within the scene it’s what people might call steppas? But people usually just use that word more like an adjective for dub tracks that are kinda 4x4 and very synth bass heavy and that. It was a big sound for UK soundsystems in the early 90s and influenced a lot of the hardcore/jungle stuff around then, so that’s probably where you’re getting it from. But it’s a bit heavier than a lot of the older stuff - Gorgon Sound is an alias for Kahn and Neek, who are both pretty staple names of the UK dubstep/grime/soundsystem scene (and I’m very much a fanboy of - Kahn especially!)

If you want more steppas stuff check out Iration Steppas - they were the masters of it really (still are tbh!)

And my fav Gorgon Sound track:

This tune was near mythical for a while, only got played at the best raves!

7 Likes

not my preferred genre but the 2nd is a badass killer

3 Likes

I find it difficult to accept that I missed this as a genre in the nineties. More than anything, I love the Berlin dub techno stuff—Burial Mix, Basic Channel, Rhythm and Sound—from that time and I really dig King Tubby style dub. I always liked the mid-nineties jungle and yet, I’ve never really come across anything like this. Here comes another YouTube rabbit hole to go down :heart_eyes: :exploding_head:

6 Likes

Ah man Moritz von Oswald and Mark Ernestus are two of the best the to ever do it! Absolutely love all the Burial Mix stuff. Deffo splashed more than my share on King Tubby and the Scientist stuff too

2 Likes

@heckseven

These must be some of the earliest records i bought (79-81). I found TD always a little too mellow for my taste, but they’re great nevertheless.

3 Likes

Having heard full orchestras in great concert halls (e.g. Berliner Philharmoniker playing Le Sacre du Printemps) I question the concept of recreating classical music with electronic instruments but the man is a legend and did a pretty good job back in the late 70ies.

2 Likes

Bought more vinyl today. This one was on my wantlist for quite a while. A classic disco track from 1979.

3 Likes

That is a great one! I, of course, love the Carl Craig remix but the original is great too.

2 Likes

But only the original version bringes back my teen memories, of dancing to Strobelight and flavoured chemical fog :wink:

2 Likes

This arrived yesterday.

4 Likes

Looks nice, what is it ?

1 Like

It’s the Colin Benders album, “Floaty Things,” that he gave away.

5 Likes