Yard sale, thrift store, and curb finds

$1 at a yard sale. Makes horrible noises. Looks very bendable.

15 Likes

Through hole board and what looks like a spring loaded drive. Looks like quite a find. How awful are the sounds? Any chance of an upload?

2 Likes

some time ago I found this old oscilloscope for 20 € in a little yard sale

and i was very happy !

10 Likes

oh boy… at one point, my dad and i had probably 50 pairs of speakers, 25 to 30 receivers/amps/preamps, tuners, etc… basically two entire basement rooms full of old hi-fi equipment.

we repaired/restored and sold most of it and kept what we wanted. got some serious steals out of it. probably my favorite is a pair of beautiful condition EV Sentry IVb’s, with everything intact and working. replacing the crossover caps and resistors with new/tighter-tolerance ones yielded even better sound.

also, mcintosh/dynaco amps and components… magnepans… etc. etc. - a lot of equipment has come and gone through my dad’s basement, lol.

photos!!!

7 Likes
13 Likes

AHAH! I can’t stop laughing. That first sound is… questionable. R4 isn’t too bad, though… Relative to the others.

5 Likes

Unquestionably worth a dollar.

7 Likes

lol was struggling to tell if this was pre or post bending for a while

6 Likes

I’d be inclined to say this one comes pre-bent.

5 Likes

Bad news, horrible sounds fans — I was playing with the pitch resistor and I thought I was being careful enough, but it looks like I fried the chip.

At least I got three Chinese AA batteries out of it.

Edit: Nope, not fried, just temporarily incapacitated!

6 Likes

I discovered the flohmarkts in Munich, it’s awesome!

For 9€: some wrapping wires, an SMD/small components case, and a 150VA transformer:

150VA will give me ~5A on each rail, it should be enough to power my modules (and with some leftover for a speaker!).

4 Likes

150 VA is chunky enough that you may want to consider the inrush current (einschaltstrom), which can be 50Ă— or more for a toroid (so over 30 A for this one).

5 Likes

Oh didn’t thought about that… Thanks, you prevent me to trip my circuit breaker!
I guess I can easily make a soft start with a relay and a power resistor…

3 Likes

So I’m in an electronic association, and some guys from the music association next to us came and give us a lot of old gears.
The main thing was a “broken” Roland EP9, that someone tried to repair by removing all the screw (and lose them). The issue was a blown fuse on the wall-wart…

Inside a mixer, beautiful:

I kept these for myself:

And also a double cassette deck.

I’m starting to have a good base of gear!

10 Likes

Hey the other day I was in a small yard sale when I saw this:

The guy was packing up, it was the end and he told me he couldn’t sell it so he made it for 10€ instead of 30€…

For the moment it’s working pretty well…

Can you tell me what you think about it ?

9 Likes

i don’t know it, but for this price it’s necessarily a good deal :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes that’s what I thought!:joy:

3 Likes

I got exactly the same thing a few weeks ago just without the instrument symbols, I think the analog displays are extremely cool! Unfortunately, I haven’t had the time to connect it yet, but I’ll do it soon.

3 Likes

Useful?

3 Likes

About to put these two under the knife in my first attempts a circuit bending. Not bad for 6$

8 Likes