Thanks for just being here

At present, we are in a bit of a hole.

But everyone I interact with I make an effort to talk with. And those that are providing for us ( Post Man, Shop Worker, Baker, another ) I have to praise their contribution.

I just want to thank you lot, where ever you are. and to thank Sam.

5 months ago I would not watch youtube. I was a car forum person but they died 5-6 years ago… So this has become my new social group and although I can hardly string 10 notes together, this is the longest I have fixed on a new Skill…

So…
Everyone. BIG thanks… I enjoy the forum, I enjoy the Patreon (Join if your not a member), I love all the crazy stuff Sam Builds. The technology excites me even if I can’t work it :wink:

Thanks

Rob

21 Likes

I used to spend a lot of time on the car forums back in the day. I have several swapped Subarus. It’s interesting being back in a forum environment again.

-Todd

4 Likes

For real. All y’all are the best!

5 Likes

I do love this forum. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Here here! It’s nice that we were all getting to know each other just before it all went to hell and now we get to take comfort in this. We’ll all make it out just fine, and we’ll always remember the good parts in the forum and probably forget the fear and pain if what (my old boss used to tell me all the time) the cognitive researchers tell us is true.

6 Likes

You know twinturbo, its kinda funny you say you cant string notes together because a common thing in the modular hobby is to assemble and make a “system”, and not really make much with it. Its not really a bad thing, we are all in this hobby for different reasons. Who knows, maybe this hobby will spin into a hobby for music making too.

Im enjoying your presence here as well.

6 Likes

I think part of the attraction of modular is that you don’t have to be able to play, you don’t need perfect timing, but can still get things to make interesting sounds that if you can remember how you jacked it and twiddled it you can form into something…

Rob

5 Likes

I sometimes fear that’s all I’m doing, and that fear is enough to get me to sit down and fiddle even if I’m not particularly inspired. I end up recording something about 3/5 times I sit down with that intention.

3 Likes

Your stuff you have shared so far is good man, and even if all you do is “fiddle” that’s what you want to do. No shame in that, you do what you want to do because that’s what you enjoy. Don’t place undue expectations that you need to do anything else as if you somehow need to. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It’s that fear of not actually doing much with my kit that keeps me motivated to learn music composition. I didn’t even set out with that intention, but as I have thought about what I like about modular synthesis I’ve increasingly become interested in making sounds I myself would like to listen to.

4 Likes

I’d expand that to electronic music in general. Not that you can’t utilize an ability to play, but when you have a robot orchestra at your disposal… I first heard this Brian Eno quote on the Why We Bleep podcast, and I just love it:

The great benefit of computer sequencers is that they remove the issue of skill, and replace it with the issue of judgement.

So the question becomes not whether you can do it or not, because any drudge can do it if they’re prepared to sit in front of the computer for a few days, the question then is, "Of all the things you can now do, which do you choose to do?”

6 Likes

For everyone who isn’t feeling very musical, this is the thing to help you get the most out of your rig.

2 Likes

I’d like to say that I am also enjoying the group vibe here. We all are working in our own ways on our own interests and while Sam’s work and enthusiasm may be a common thread that drew us here we have each brought years of experience in many varied fields and everyone seems happy to share knowledge and support others. There are no know-it-alls or snobs, no nay-sayers or shaming and even Sam chips in or seeks a steer now and then. Maybe it’s because it’s a smaller group that it works so well so it’s important that as we grow in size we keep the vibe we have now. I’d say more on this but I’ve just realised that I’ve neglected to post in the introductions thread and that’s probably a more appropriate place to ramble about me but to twinturbo and all I say thanks for sharing and for the encouragement. You’re great. Keep going.

7 Likes

As a forum user of 20+ years I have come across the " Know-it-alls, snobs, nay-sayers , shamming "

I once had a guy on a Volvo forum pretty much shouting me down, despite me having technical data sheets, plain common seens, and science on my side… He was an exception on that forum though.

Thankfully the forums I have had a strong commitment in (user or MOD) ( before interest in car forums ) had all avoided most of that.

5 Likes

was trying to find a thread to post this , this one will work . well its been two years on the forum . found inspiration , learned a lot , made " friends " well as much as on line acquaintances can be . so here is to you all :beers: and hopefully many years to come visiting everyone here .

15 Likes

Well said

(And other praise to make 20 char)

10 Likes

Indeed we are synthetic freinds :slight_smile: … Fill to 20

11 Likes

I think the same thing ! thank you all :heartbeat: :musical_keyboard: :smiley:

12 Likes

Don’t know how but I seem to have missed this thread entirely and am only seeing it now for the first time. I came because of Sam but I’ve stayed only to see how many cases @Dud will end up making in 5 years.

We all know this is the ONLY reason we are really here, right? :wink:

11 Likes

That and watching @analogoutput crank out modules.

9 Likes