Stripboard convention?

I’ve been slowly working my way through an old pile of stripboards and I’m thinking I’ll stock up.
But everywhere I look vendors sell by physical dimensions in cm (or in that old imperial system we Scots invented and gave to the colonies before we and the world went metric)
What I cannot judge is how many strip rows to how many columns.
So, my DAQ* is are the strip rows always running on the longest edge? The first listed measurements? Hidden in some code?
If I need a big stripboard with say 50 strip rows and 60 holes per strip what do I ask or search for?
Any and all input appreciated. Best to all.
(*Dumb.Ass.Question)

2 Likes

Well, the hole spacing is 0.1 Scottish inch, so 50 holes by 60 holes is 5 by 6 inches (17 hectares). As for which direction the strips run? If you have to guess, guess they’re parallel to the long edge, but no promises from me.

3 Likes

Aye and there’s the rub. How do you tell which way the rows go?

1 Like

I just checked Tayda, and the first two there had the rows in different directions, so pretty sure the answer is “by looking at them” :grinning:

5 Likes

Ah the empirical scientific method! Sorted!
Now if we could just get vendors to stop using the same image for every size they stock!

3 Likes

You could just make it your policy only to buy square stripboards.

3 Likes

Knowing my luck I’ll order a square and the rows will be diagonal!

3 Likes

There are alternatives that can be very handy like this one:

or bigger ones:

I’ve been using this for a while and find it very convenient to use because of the many long copper lanes suitable for GND and Vcc and Vdd etc.:

Obviously you cut them to the size needed.

5 Likes

Let’s put it this way-if any of us had ever seen them running the short way we’d probably pipe up. I will say that I have seen perma-proto boards (the ones that have roughly the same layout as a breadboard) called “strip board” on occasion.

1 Like

4 Likes

Okay maybe I should have been piping up because Well duh… I even have some of those. I tried to build the 3340 oscillator on it.

3 Likes

Ooh! Is it wrong I think that’s too square? :grin:

1 Like

I like the 5x10. May get some like that for my lunetta case. Perfect for cmos. Thanks

2 Likes

These are my goto from tayda. usually big enough. made 3 3340 OSC on em, adequate space for those.

2 Likes

Everybody should stock a few different sizes and shapes of stripboard/veroboard. It’s amazingly easy to use. And yes, if you set up a circuit on a breadboard it makes sense to use a stripboard design that reflects the design of the breadboard. Translating between different layouts is a major source of error.

5 Likes

Or, design your own and have them manufactured:

Might actually even be cheaper in some cases.

And I know it looks like protoboard, but I assure you there are strips.

5 Likes

I have considered this. They look lovely. and are likely less janky. Curious how cutting strips fairs with this method however.

4 Likes

Janky? Don’t know the word.
Do you mean the fact projects look meh on stripboard?
I was pleasantly surprised when sam started spray painting his stripboard.

2 Likes

I use a lot of stripboard so no hate for it, but it can be a bit unreliable.

4 Likes

It’s surprisingly easy. There are only strips on the bottom side, but the the holes have proper eyelets. If you scrape/drill out the eyelet on the bottom, it cuts the connection. You have to be a little more careful with connections far apart, though, since you could accidentally make connections on the component side as well.

4 Likes