Stripboard building Kosmo for Eurorack

Hi - this question has probably been asked before but I can’t really find it so will just check really quick.

I’m fairly illiterate circuit design-wise, can solder and do stripboard layouts of existing designs/schematics, that’s about it. The LMNC modules just seem like really great modules to try DIY.

I’m looking to stripboard build some of the simpler cosmo modules - starting with the simple MS20 style filter - was like 10 or 15 bucks for components so why not. I am wondering exactly how interchangable Kosmo format and eurorack is, i.e:

If I build a module as-is but just replace the 1/4in jacks with 3.5mm TS jacks, will it work just fine? is there anything else that I’m not understanding about the interchangability that will prevent this from working?

Thank you!

3 Likes

no just smaller jacks, now panel-wise euro is about 4 inches tall compared to kosmo being about 8 inches ltall , but jacks are jacks 3.5mm is just . You can also mkae asimple 3.5mm to 6.35mm exchange jack panel wiring these types of jacks to each other and then you can use one or the other or both. Good questions are the first of a process.

4 Likes

The differences* between Kosmo and Eurorack are:

• Jacks are 0.25" Kosmo, 3.5 mm Euro
  • Front panels are 200 mm high by multiples of 25 mm Kosmo, ~129 mm by multiples of 0.2" Euro

A stripboard layout intended for Kosmo might not fit behind a Eurorack front panel. But if it fits and you use 3.5 mm jacks, it’ll work.

*Aside from 5 V rail and distributed CV/Gate, which are Eurorack features hardly anyone uses, and are not used in Kosmo.

3 Likes

Thanks! Good to know.

I’m taking the stripboard layout on the site (Simple low pass filter) and just smashing it down to be as tight as possible, here’s where I’m at. keep in mind haven’t done a full check to make sure everything is here yet, ALSO the ICs are labeled incorrectly. Top is TL074 and bottom is LM13700. But nothing else is labeled so not super useful anyway:

I mean looking back at the original post now the PCB was already totally fine for eurorack size, probably should have checked before I tried to tighten it up but oh well, got the fritzing files for both.

3 Likes