Sounds that make your heart warm (Nostalgia Share Thread)

Woo WoooooOOOO!! All aboard the nostalgia train!! after seeing some OST Post’s i wanted to throw this up for people to post ‘Sounds that make your heart warm’ be it retro nostalgic OST’s or a pan getting hit with water in it…
Not as in ASMR ‘warm/fuzzy’…

The sounds in this game are amazing! many many hours playing this in my bedroom as a kid!

6 Likes

Any time a composition includes kalimbas, I get the fuzzies. I love those plonky boys.

3 Likes

I love the unexpected good noises, like washing tha pans and getting a good one of these =D

5 Likes

note: this is a list of instrumental music but not specific things so when I say for example peter gabriel i don’t mean the man’s sound like if he talked or made sounds just moving lmao

• pinball arcades of the 1970’s
  • graham gouldman
  • georgio moroder
  • tangerine dream
  • peter gabriel

-fumu / esopus

3 Likes

Added a description to the title of the thread if you intend this to include things other than game osts, feel free to discard my edit :slight_smile:. Good idea, this way im not flooding people maybe? Self-limiting myself to one per game and only 10 for now.

Here are some bops i dig:

3 Likes

First time I knew I was getting old was in the late nineties and a younger colleague at work played Phaedra by Tangerine Dream. I hadn’t listened to it in years, but it reminded me of the day I took that album to a musical appreciation session at school. The music teacher was kind but mildly sarcastic, but I was still very happy to share my love that day. And here I was a quarter of a century later enjoying it anew.

5 Likes

There is this sound that a Diesel or Turbo’d vehicle makes when it is both spooling up and spooling down that just makes me melt…

6 Likes

hitting a long length taunt cable always reminds me of the star wars blaster sound .

2 Likes

Best console start up sound!

And a mildly interesting vid about how it’s made using 3 naff samples - strong wavestation preset vibes:

6 Likes

you might like this ENTIRE video then…

^ this has always been a fave from frankjavcee

(its a track, not a tutorial lol, well. at least the beginning is the track, i forgot this was the extended vid with frank at the end haha)

6 Likes

4mat got used a lot for Cracks and warez in the early 2000’s. Legit great chiptune, the pinnacle of the genre in my opinion.

3 Likes

haha nice. don’t know why I never thought to sample it before (or the THX sound for that matter).

Parts of it kind of remind me footwork music - anything with chopped chords and an 808 does i guess!

I’ll be shocked if theres no tunes sampling old playstation sounds, they seem to sample everything and anything aha

2 Likes

oh man… you should check out Equip.
He samples a lot of RPG’s.

i love the entire beginning of shadow dancer - it is running through the menus in FFVII

4 Likes

Sweet, reminds me I need to get the FFVII remake.

If we’re doing samples of PS1 games, two of my favs are: Burial/MGS:

and this stupid heavy grime beat with Castlevania:

I remember shouting something about Castlevania in the club first time I heard it but not sure it was the right crowd haha

4 Likes

Explicit lyrics:

3 Likes

I didnt know i needed this. The kefka laugh tho.

2 Likes

when you walk into a random room with a low poly golden statue in it…

2 Likes
1 Like

This is cheating, but there’s a nice story attached. I was hit by the nostalgia virus pretty hard in my teens. Pieces like Telstar and Rag Doll from the early sixties would send my acne-plagued heart into a fit of hormone-laden palpitations. I’ve lived nearly five decades since then, long enough to lament that nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.

Here’s Steeleye Span’s cover of Frankie Valli’s beautiful song Rag Doll.

And here’s Telstar by the great music production pioneer Joe Meek.

4 Likes

“Nostalgia isnt what it used to be” well yeah!

4 Likes