Some questions about powering modules, and sequencing

This may be a silly question, but I want to build the 8 step arduino sequencer in its own box, and was wondering if the eurorack power supply boards like Sam shows in his case/power supply video are necessary to power single modules or if they are so that you can split the power more easily, I was hoping to find a way to directly power the module without spending the extra I would need to set up that type of power supply.

Thank you for the help, I’m new to all this and basic information can be surprisingly hard to come by. The FC powerboard is what I had been looking at and will probably spring for, I was just bummed to realize I was going to be spending half as much again as I initially thought because I didn’t factor it in.

Another option is to use an isolated DC/DC converter, as discussed in e.g. this thread. These aren’t that cheap, but are fairly standardized, and are available from multiple manufacturers and for different source voltages and output currents. I use tiny ones to get ±12 V from USB, mostly for testing but also for stand-alone boxes. Powerbanks are everywhere.

EDIT: But as @analogoutput points out below, you might not need this level of fanciness for a sequencer.

1 Like

Forget what I posted above and then deleted. For the LMNC 8 step sequencer? You just need something to power the Arduino. There aren’t any op amps or other devices that need ±12V. In principle you could do it with a 9V battery, though maybe not for very long? Or with a DC wall wart.

2 Likes

By the way: If you use an external voltage regulator, as Sam does, don’t connect it to the Arduino VIN pin. Connect it to the 5V pin. See here.

3 Likes

Wait seriously? That’s awesome, I guess I would just wire up a regular wall input then. Thanks for the advice about the arduino pins as well. Really glad to hear I can do this project on the budget I have available, thanks so much for the help!

2 Likes

Yeah, a 9V DC wall wart should work just fine.

for initial testing it will work from the usb input power

Rob

3 Likes