Solid core vs multicore wire

Hello,

Just created an account to first say thank you for the so inspirational video and projects!

And secondly : really Sam you should never use solid core cable for your wiring, this kills reliability. Always use multicore wire even if it’s a pain because you have to tin it. (only exception is on board to board connection on the same board, of course)

I had to say it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess it depends on how flexible your sold core wire is and how often it needs to flex.

2 Likes

I have some solid core project wire that is meant to be used more in circuit bending applications, namely inside of DMG’s, but it is so freaking thin that its like an insulated version of 1 single wire from a multicore. lol

1 Like

Solid core is okay for strip board application, isn’t it? Anything that doesn’t sit directly on a PCB you want multicore, but if something moves around enough on the strip board to cause reliability issues with 22AWG then you’re going to have trouble with more than just the wire, right?

Yes on stripboard / pcb it’s fine. But when you connect a pot to a pcb, even if the pcb is attached to a panel, I’d really advise to use multicore cable. I looked at the behind the scene video of the megadrive polysynth here : https://youtu.be/eAgwVvJwdnc?t=326 and I think Sam uses solid core wire there, when this cries for multicore, that’s why I started this thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

Coda: If you use too thick of an AWG threaded wire you can have the same kinds of trouble on short runs in the situation that @philippejadin points out here!

1 Like

Adamski.a, who has been building a superb analog synth from scratch for years now used single core telephone wires while at the breadboard stage. For breadboard projects it’s almost mandatory but for any flying link multicore is best.
Do checkout Adamski.a on YouTube. He’s learning, like us and his journey is fascinating.

2 Likes

basically if the wire will never move (on a stripboard for example) it’s fine to use single core. But if it might move, even only for maintenance, for interconnection between boards, potentiometer, wathver, then multicore will bring much higher tolerance and much less failure.

Take a single core wire in your hand, try to bend it a few times, after maybe ten “bendings” it will break (at least stop conducting some of the time). A multicore won’t break nearly as easily.

4 Likes

I’ve been using 22awg solid core for things that are on my strip boards themselves and 22awg stranded core for things like pots that aren’t on the board but I’m finding 22awg stranded too thick for the holes in the strip board once i’ve tinned them with solder, maybe I’m just bad at soldering but I’m finding it really difficult so I’m thinking of getting 24awg or 26awg. Does anybody have a similar experience? would you recommend 24awg? or 26awg? or something else?

1 Like

I usually dont apply solder until after its inserted. Should they get a bit too chunky with some tinning, you can run the iron across it to heat the wire and clean the tip of the iron with the steel wool.

1 Like

For bnc Mic leads I have seen a couple of engineers dip the end in flux paste or dab a bit of paste on and rub before twisting as tinning the lead can make it very awkward with some makes of plug.
I do it when I’ve no solid core hookup to hand so I can twist then solder in one go. Looks messy but cleans up well and works

2 Likes

yes thats a great set of wiring methods I agree

like to use 24 awg. stranded wire . seems like if you just nick the solid core stuff when stripping it is going to break sooner or later . just bought some of the silicone wrapped wire it is taking some getting used to but I do like the way it doesn’t melt back when you solder it . I can see using solid core on the strip board more control on laying flat . but for jack and pot hook up defiantly stranded wire.

4 Likes

Yeah I used solid core when it’s flat on the board, sometimes I use the legs off components if it’s a short connection. I can’t seem to get the 22 awg into the hole un-tinned with out have the strands go everywhere, even with a good twist.
I might try the 24awg, thanks!

Just realised I have some flux paste, I’ll give that a try!

3 Likes

I use this stuff , seems a little less of a fuss than paste . but if you have the paste thats the way to go.
2 Likes