Everything regarding cables in D.I.Y / What to use?

Hello fellow computerers !

I have a very basic but very in depth question about cables. / Want to start a conversation.

With cables i mean everything that gets used in the DIY Process internally and on the outside of the gear. Everything that has a meaningful relation to the audio that comes out of tha machine in the end.

What diameter / gauge for what kind of use ?
Is material (copper / silver / coated stuff) really a big deal when it comes to the gear thats getting built itself ?

What are the basic terms about cables that should be known ?

Maybe that could be a extra part of the WIKI / Basic Knowledge thats shared.

That anybody that starts out, what to get at best, what to harvest from old electronics, what really matters in the end and for what uses certain things have to be kept in mind, to not blow up or destroy anything.

Im very curious how you think about this :slight_smile:
Have a great time.

2 Likes

I’m surprised to see you’ve got no response here yet. Cables are a great subject for DIY.

Ordinary copper or even copper coated aluminium (CCA) is great for patch cables. For flexibility I recommend thinner wire and silicone insulation. For high durability, 20awg or thicker is fine. I touched on this topic here, mostly from the viewpoint of single core banana cables, but the basic ideas translate well to more conventional dual core cables. For my DIY banana cables I keep a big reel of 14awg dual core speaker cable which I split into single core and then making up the cable is a two minute job because you just strip the ends and screw a banana plug on each end.

1 Like

Thanks for your insight ! :slight_smile:

I hope for more contributions throughout the forum,
then there could be put together a nice and tidy list with the best-to-use stuff.

Horrendous starters help !
Maybe with sortation / Europe / Germany / Uk / ??? -> for sources and so on.

Make it known ! :slight_smile:

1 Like