Does anybody know where I can get long stripboard?

I would like to make a power distribution bus like Sam made when building the new Kosmo case in this video. I haven’t been able to find anything that size. Does anybody know somewhere that sells them?

@analogoutput has made some bus board PCBs that work swell.

3 Likes

There are pcb-designs on line which you could use. I ordered a few of these which someone linked to on this forum. The design files are on ThisIsNotRocketScience’s github. I send the gerber files to a pcb-manufacturer and had them made for a few dollars. Do mind their size though, they may or may not fit your case. These measure 46 cm.

3 Likes

Ive been wondering about this, i have an idea about making some shorter (6-7 connectors) boards and connecting them by ribbon since i have 10 of the wrong pitch type haha.

something like…

(Thorge’s buss board schem was used for the image)
I dont know if the E caps are needed on the second board (red square)

2 Likes

I don’t know if they’re needed on either board. I’ve asked about this but never gotten a good answer. Are there any genuine benefits to bypass caps on the bus board? Seems to me they’re too far from anything to do any good, and can’t do anything the caps on the module boards will do better.

The only answer I’ve gotten is “it can’t hurt” and that’s an assertion I’m not even sure is true.

(Sorry, this is way off topic.)

2 Likes

Yeah i dont know enough about this either, my assumption is also ‘less noise, more good’
but if there is a benefit, you’d want all outs to have the same level of conditioning i guess.

1 Like

Given that a back plane needs to be able to conduct all the current to the modules you connect to it, I’m not sure whether a flimsy cable as the ones in a flat cable are up to the task. You might want to use cable with a bigger diameter for interconnecting parts of back planes.

2 Likes

Oh I didnt mean actual ribbons like the ones you would use for a Ras Pi cam or Phone screens etc. I have some 10-10 pin connecters that i ordered in the wrong pitch, may as well get a use out of them. I would have thought that would be enough? =)

1 Like

For a run of a couple inches, IDC ribbon should be fine. Just make sure to connect to all 10 pins.

1 Like

My case is 3" 7’ wide. I need some long stripboard :sweat_smile:I’d also rather use stripboard 1. so I can choose the exact size, and 2. because I could use the leftovers.

How about make them in sections with connectors at the ends so you ‘click’ them together like LEGO?!
I have made a ribbon-thing with a number of boards that are connected thru the resistors in the resistor chain.
Checking a PCB manufacturer like JLCPCB, you’ll notice that the larger the board the higher the price but keeping the board below 160mm keeps it in the standard (low) price area.

I’m currently planning on screwing them all to the back board so that they are aligned and then connect them together with small ribbon cable jumpers. The current decision is wether or not I want to go with the standard 8/16 pin euro connectors, or if I want to adapt it down to the 4 essentials: +12, -12, +5, and ground and have 4 pin cables. It would save space and wire.

Keep in mind that ground is the return path for the other rails, so don’t skimp on the AWG if you go from six to one wire.

(lots of ribbon cable info here, btw)

1 Like

Ah. I did not know that. Thank you! I’ll get a beefy ground wire :sunglasses:

This is what I ended up going with.

2 Likes

Ended up going with your lego idea!

If looking for Veroboards at good sizes, check AliExpress.
This is just one example of bigger boards at good prices:
AliX Veroboards

I had no clue how to distribute power in my modular synth, but I think you gave me some ideas here :wink:.

The one package of stripboards I bought from AliExpress was crap. Copper peeled off if you looked at it funny.

There may be good stuff there too, but some of it’s definitely bad.

AliX is a lottery. Got a lot of boards of different sizes but so far no bad luck.

The boards I got are 22000 by 100mm btw.

Must be an error… that’s 22 meters, or something like 70 feet :slight_smile:

1 Like