Slew Generator Stripboard - confirmed working

Slew Generator on stripboard - use for portamento, glide. Switch for rise/risefall/fall

Confirmed working

Based on Dual Slew Schematics by Dintree.com and Yusynth.net

19 Likes

Looking at the Dintree schematic,

It seems to me that the back-to-back 10µF polarized capacitors should be replaced by a single 4.7µF non-polarized capacitor. It’s not like non-polarized capacitors of that size are horribly expensive.
Having two polarized capacitors back to back doesn’t protect them from being reverse polarized, it only ensures that at all times, one of them is reverse polarized, doubling the number of parts susceptible to failure.

EDIT: BTW there is a verified stripboad layout thread you might want to post this to.

4 Likes

The Yusynth gated slew uses a non-polarised cap. And the Dintree video on the schematic points that out too.

Thanks foe the extra info

1 Like

A non-polarized electrolytic is effectively two polarized electrolytics in series (oxide layers on both electrodes) so with theoretically perfect components it’s the same thing, but using one that’s built for that purpose is indeed more robust.

You can also swap out the TL082s for TL072s (or one TL074); the latter is a low-noise version of the 082 and is much more common these days, and as noted earlier they seem to have exactly the same specs these days (so may be the same silicon).

4 Likes

Oh, missed that you linked to a multilayer ceramic, not an NP electrolytic.

2 Likes

It seems they always had the same silicon, they where just sorted at the end of manufacturing for lowest noise (TL07x) vs lowest offset (TL08x)
With improved manufacturing the sort step has most probably been dropped and the chips are marked as demand arises… production optimization :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Really basic question I probably should know the answer to already (and maybe I will when I’m more wide awake) but what is the function of R6 in this circuit?

1 Like

Here’s what Andrew kilpatrick says on dintree.com

Outputs should always be terminated when the module is unpowered. Semiconductors are usually floating when off, so if you unpower your circuit while it is driving an external device like a mixer, you will now have an unterminated cable picking up all kinds of noise. I use 100K resistors to ground on outputs. Put them before the output series resistor to avoid unnecessary voltage drops.

4 Likes

I don’t recall seeing that done very often by others, though.

2 Likes