Power Consumption Specs of all Modules?

Hello there !

Has anybody ever found or tested out, what the exact amount of power is, each and every module needs? That would be a very handy thing to know, when planning and working on a case…

Im curious.

Have a great time !

2 Likes

to be honest! it would most certainly be very handy and I should most definitely do this! because to be honest right up to this point I have gone with the rule “if it causes the voltage regulators to auto shut off its too much current” haha. I will set up a rig in the next few days and do this.

funny story! I was on a show on canal+ in Paris 3 years ago it was around the time my DIY synth got quite big and chunky to play live. and I was over stretching my power supplycv(I was up for days figuring out the setup for the tv show) and I still didn’t understand why one of my cases shut off sometimes, and low and behold it shut off in the first shot of me playing on live tv in France, but I managed to play it out with the rest of the modules in the other cases! luckily a quick google search on the way home answered this!

full plonker mode is everywhere! but it usually is recoverable with valuable lessons

8 Likes

Maybe that can help you
@analogoutput did a circuit to test each module, i don’t find it in the forum but here’s in his website

3 Likes

THANKS ALOT for that reply Sam !
That would be bangin :slight_smile:
I might not be quick enough in building to overdrive my “1200mA - psu” before you put out that information, but ill be very happy to have that information in the future !

The most valuable lessons hit you when the situation was uneasy. Thats the funny deal in life.
Nice Story !

Best wishes !

currentdraw

Results of my consumption test. Tested with nothing plugged in but all LEDs were turned on if possible. the safety valve (mine has bypassed 27r) pulls a lot more current than shown in table until it heats up, something to keep in mind.

missing bounce (not built) and midi-to-cv (not finished)

13 Likes

That is very useful as I’m building a rather big rack right now!
Would you be able to expand the list? Especially the midi-to-cv and megadrone would be interesting to me

4 Likes

If anybody has them finished to test I will for sure add to list. My CV is still unfinished :rofl:

3 Likes

Seems like I got to build this tester thing myself then :smiley:
Hope I can get to it soon, will post results here of course

1 Like

That’s a very nice list :slight_smile:

Good point about the heaters!
A lot of 12v heater signal tubes use 150ma for the heater.
The inrush current is massive and if you have several tube modules, your power supply might not like it.

I used an old atx power supply in the past with the filaments of 5 tubes on the positive 12v rail and it would always go in overcurrent protection.

People using wall warts or 78xx/79xx regulators should keep this in mind

4 Likes