Panel Unit Width?

Am I correct in that although we have a Kosmo standard of 200MM for the vertical, there is no "U"nit width?

I have based my first ideas on 2.5cm per unit. as that’s what Sam seems to be working to. He may have said this in one of the videos so it may already be standard.

Rob

1 Like

From https://www.lookmumnocomputer.com/modular:

KOSMO FORMAT

yes all these designs are actually in their own format, i call it the kosmo format but it has also been called metric 5U in the past, and here is the criteria :-

-20cm tall panels widths of 2.5cm/5cm/10cm/20cm/40cm/60cm/80cm

but if someone were to offer up a 7.5 cm or 15 cm or 30 cm module would anyone complain?

(Also: 80 cm wide module??)

2 Likes

By the way: I’ve found some cut to order aluminum dealers who are slaves to Imperial units not only won’t let you specify cm, but won’t let you specify anything other than multiples of 1/8" or 1/16", so I calculated a table of approximate equivalents:
“delta” is the difference between the Imperial approximation and the metric value.
So for instance 100 mm is about 3 15/16", only 0.0005" too large, but if you have to specify eighths of an inch, it’s about 3 7/8, which is 0.0620" too small.

2 Likes

thanks… My assumption was correct :slight_smile:

My challenge for the week is to finish REV2 of my clock unit and then create a front panel for it.

PCB’s I am going -25mm vertical and -5mm horizontal ( i did not pay attention to the vertical clearance on Clock V1 and it does not fit my case, but they can be shaved.).

I think it would be great to have a dedicated website for KOSOM “Creator” . Will have a think and maybe chat to Sam… Obviously we don’t want to be sharing lots of FREE stuff that stamps on the funding streams that allows him to give us great content.

1 Like

2.5 cm wide seems very small to me as a standard, in fact as Analogoutput said, it depends on the module you want to build, but most of Sam’s modules are more like 10cm.

“Obviously we don’t want to be sharing lots of FREE stuff that stamps on the funding streams that allows him to give us great content.”

i’m not agree with that, for most of us have a website in order to share schemas, info, experiences … to as many people as possible, so that everyone can tinker around themselves and share these things in turn, also a means against the absolute consumerism of this society, everything is already on Sam’s site so no reservations to share it all

2 Likes

The ASDR and DUAL VCA are 5CM. 2.5CM is only the unit multipler width and not a limitation… 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10… Whatever is needed without wasting space in the case.

I was trying to say that it would be better to have modules and designes that were not direct clones and something different to what is already on offer.

Rob

2.5 cm is way larger than 2HP, the smallest width you see in Eurorack. And pretty much the point of Kosmo is to be larger than Eurorack, with larger knobs and jacks and more space between controls. But for instance I have a dual ring modulator in Eurorack, there are no knobs or switches, just six jacks. It’s 4HP wide and has no need to be wider. A similar module in Kosmo has no need to be more than 25 mm wide.

Of course I say this as one whose first and only Kosmo module is 25 mm (with one knob)…

3 Likes

yes of course, misunderstanding, I understood that he wanted to make only modules of 2.5 cm when he spoke of “standard unit”.

1 Like

For my current “In My Head” project… It would be one Processing Module (2U 50mm) Then 1 to 4 2U I/O control modules… And lastly 1 extra 1U 25mm feature module… The Processor module could be combined with the Feature module (3U 75MM) 2 PCBS’s one front panel… Or other combinations of front panel, and modules in the set…

Rob

1 Like

otherwise you are where with “input / output module”, I made you several messages to help you, but not really some answers

1 Like

Not to repeat my pictures from mail day, but here are some that I designed with a little bit of Sams help!

2.5cm

5cm

7.5cm

7.5cm Special Shiny Panel (some of these will be given away here!)

10cm

15cm

LMNC’s Modules are
Filter - 20cm
VCLFO - 10cm
VCO - 10cm
ADSR - 5cm
Dual VCA - 5cm
Quad VCA - 10cm

4 Likes

lol, I think we should call the width KU lol

3 Likes

Or Fixed KU,

only problem with that is it trips of the tong as “FKU”… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

d42kn355,

I like seeing the shine of tin in the art.

LMNC’s Filter - 20cm (I’m not to be pedantic rather I’m keeping myself from getting confused between all the grades of unit width…)

-Fumu / Esopus

2 Likes

Whoops you’re correct, I’m sitting at work and wrote that away from my synth haha

1 Like

@KardashevTypeII

I work in “U” all the time as I have a lot of 19" Racks with equipment to plan/manage.

The performance filter at 20cm = 8units 8FKU
ADSR 2U
DUAL VCA 2U
QUAD VCA 4U
Perf VCO(Tuner) 4U
LFO 2U

1 Like

sounding great!!! and the standard is refined!!! :smiley:

4 Likes

Great!
Take a unit that most people in the modular synthesizer world understand as a measure of height and overload it with yet another different value as a measure of width./s

According to Wikipedia: “As of 2018 there are two competing standards for 1U modules, differing mainly in their height. 1U modules manufactured by Intellijel are 39.65mm high, whereas 1U modules manufactured by Pulp Logic and other manufacturers are 43.2mm high.”

Now instead of this:
- How wide is the ADSR module?
- It’s 5cm wide.
-OK, thanks.
we’ll have this:
- How wide is the ADSR module?
- 2U
- Not its height, its width.
- No, the Kosmo U is horizontal.
- Ah? OK, so how wide is it?
- 5cm
- So the ADSR is 10cm wide?
- No, it’s 5cm wide.
- But you said it’s 2U wide and a Kosmo U is 5cm.
- No I meant the module is 5cm, the Kosmo U is 2.5cm.
- O…K…

What the F**k is wrong with just using centimeters?!? It’s a pretty common unit.
We don’t need another secret language, things are nebulous enough as they are.

6 Likes

LOL

… <- to make a long enough response n such.

1 Like

Well, as I understand it, MOTM and Modcan B are 1U wide (by 5U high).

But yeah, talking about “Us” when a U is 1.75" makes some sense otherwise you’re spending half your time talking about “eight point seven five inches” and getting everyone confused instead of just saying “5U”. Likewise “4 HP” instead of “eight tenths of an inch”. But cm, that’s easy, it’s clear, it’s not jargony.

(Of course my panels are really e.g. 1" by 7 7/8" for “1U” and 2" wide for “2U” but 3 7/8" for “4U” but don’t get me started on Imperial idiocy.)

2 Likes