"KP" as a unit of measurement

So today I asked my wife to re-organize her rack layout spreadsheet to make “2KP” of room for the power switch panel.

Euro has some crazy width unit based off imperial called an “hp”. Kosmo units seems to come in increments of 2.5cm of width, so I would like to propose the unit of “KP” to represent 2.5cm of width.

All models in the K25 series would now be “1 KP”
Filtr Grrr, 1220 VCO, etc would be “4KP”

Who’s with me?

3 Likes

Why not just 5cm? Introducing another scale only makes things more confusing.

4 Likes

actually don’t find typing 1 KP any easier than 2.5cm
guess I am just tired of acronyms in general we are replacing language with strings of meaningless letters IMHO .
already find " HP " confusing so why not do the same with Kosmo .
you just wanna be like the cool eurorack kids with their own form of measurement :wink:.

4 Likes

Haha don’t want to just keep laying it on, but HP system sucks lol. I will say that 2.5cm=1kp would still be miles better than 5.08mm=1hp.

Most eurorack don’t even follow it exactly, but round up and down

2 Likes

LOL I was just being snarky , no harm meant . 2.5cm = 1 KP is much easier than the HP crap . and it makes us Kosmo users special .

1 Like

No, no, and NO. It’s jargony, hence exclusionary. It’s confusing. Novice builders and users have enough bewildering terms to contend with without throwing more at them for no good reason. Metric units are simple and well understood. Stick with them.

10 Likes

whats wrong you don’t want to have to explain 20 times a day what a KP is LOL .
yeah I agree !

5 Likes

There’s a lot of truth here. Thank you for keeping it real. I’ll still call it KP in my head. LOL. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I want to see the face of my carpenter when I ask him for a 32KP wide case… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

we had this discussion a year ago.

Still be kilometres better, you mean :grinning:

(fwiw, I find it amazing that someone managed to get the americans, the brits, and the french to give up their previous standards and align imperial and metric by defining the inch as exactly 25.4 mm with references measured at 20 °C. Too bad he didn’t go for 25 mm, but guess that would have been a harder sell :slight_smile:)

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: is that still a figure of speech? Doesn’t roll off the tongue the same

1 Like

I wasn’t here a year ago :smiley:

2 Likes

Here’s one earlier thread, which includes links to HP rulers:

There’s also this unified metric/inch ruler, for folks who’d like to use metric but prefer their units to be nice and fractional:

2 Likes

I agree with @analogoutput . Adding abbreviations is confusing and adds nothing. I think plain measurements make much more sense. I suppose in Eurorack the measurements are weird(13.5849308373mm etc) so it makes more sense but the whole point of Kosmo is to make modules easier to build and to use.

5 Likes

I haven’t really been following these discussions closely because my panels, such as they are, are based on international paper sizes.

One thing that occurs to me is that any specification for physical devices that are supposed to fit well together in a single housing should include standards of tolerance. If I build a case that fits panels exactly 200mm tall and I acquire a panel 205mm or 195mm, it may cause problems. Instead if the specifications define the amount of tolerance to build for, I can build my case confident that anybody else building Kosmo will produce something I can use without worries.

This notion should have been discussed a year ago.

4 Likes

Replied here

2 Likes

Measurements are for crazies and mathematicians.

2 Likes

I guess you should base it on the manufacturing tolerences of the big players JLC/PCBway. probably why it’s not realy been discussed.

That really only addresses PCB panels though, which are definitely a subset of all Kosmo panels and likely a lot tighter than the larger subset which are handmade panels.

1 Like