Panel layout best practices

Does anyone have any resources or suggestions regarding best practices for panel layouts? Things like knob spacing, jack spacing, etc. The knobs on my Erica Synths sequencer are packed just a little tight at 1 inch/25mm, but the big skirted knobs they use might be contributing. Smaller 12mm knobs could make that spacing seem downright roomy, or allow a tighter spacing like 0.75 or 0.8 inches (18-20mm). I’m interested to hear what your preferences are on these things.

I’m interested in your thoughts on topics such as input vs output labeling conventions, arrangement of controls, opinions on panel graphics and such as well.

Also, I know this is a pretty Kosmo focused group, which makes these spacing questions a little less relevant for your designs, but I’m designing for eurorack which means space is at a little more of a premium.

Vertical space is. You can use pretty much as much horizontal space as you like.

Partly it’s down to personal style. Do you set up a patch, dial in each pot, then hit record, play the keyboard, and stop the recording? Or do you do like Sam does, using the pots as performance controls, manipulating them throughout? In the latter case it’s more important to have large enough pots and large enough spacing to facilitate grabbing and turning them without bumping into other knobs. (Hence Kosmo.)

I like distinguishing inputs from outputs, in my designs panels are white with black silkscreen, but outputs have black boxes around them with white labels. Some people like colored nuts to distinguish different types of inputs and outputs. Not my thing. I do usually like to keep jacks separated from pots, again to minimize interference when reaching for a knob. Generally I put rows of jacks across the bottom of the panel with knobs and switches above that. I don’t usually have much graphics aside from text labels (or sometimes icons, like for wave shapes on a VCO, but mostly I prefer text) and lines, but then again I’m not much of a design artist.

Well, there’s this:

Military spec knobs

Then again there’s also this:

I definitely appreciate the knowledge and experience of Matthew Skala, but I have a love/hate relationship with his delivery, and that’s coming from a fellow grouchy old bastard.

Good information there, too, in spite of his thinly veiled contempt. It’s interesting to think of knobs and jacks, etc, as having an “HP cost per component”.

1 Like

Good question! I am in the process of creating 2.5cm, 5cm, and 7.5cm templates for printing module panel graphics (on plain paper, waterslide decal paper, cardboard…) on Inkscape. The templates will include drilling and spacing guides as well as basic labels for the most common hardware components (potentiometers, jacks, switches, LEDs, screws…) that can be dragged around or modified to taste. Unfortunately, I am very slow with the project due to commitments, but will report back once I have fully tested the templates.

I have similar plans to use Inkscape for panel design, though I haven’t installed and played with it yet. I know there’s plugins you can get that take care of the component footprints and stuff like that for you, but again, have no experience with them to back that up.

I’m also planning to explore water slide decals, in part because I have access to a color laser printer at work.my wife also just got a Cricut, which offers some interesting options as well.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with