Opinion: the forum has too many pinned topics!

So, I was browsing from a laptop I rarely use and saw the logged out version of the forums, and was reminded of something most of us have no reason to notice: there’s really a LOT of pinned threads of limited relevance to new users:

There’s only room left for the 5 most recent threads! A logged out prospective member user might see a lot of threads last updated last year, and think this place is inactive.

The forums have a huge wealth of good information (duckduckgo brought me here all the time before I joined), and most of the pinned threads are not exceptionally useful by our standards. Pinned are often about pretty random topics, and they focus a lot on building the official LMNC modules when the community has broadened its scope.

Instead of a lot of random pins, I think we could really use making a community wiki thread that provides an index of sorts of interesting old threads (maybe I should kickstart such a wiki thread?)

4 Likes

Maybe, and maybe some of the X ones above should be moved to the FAQ category.

4 Likes

sounds good. With the limits of discourse, we have tried to use pins for various threads and its kinda grown out of control.

We now only have 8 pinned threads, and I have reclassified many previously pinned threads into FAQ category where it seemed appropriate.

You can search discourse with “in:pinned” to see pinned threads. I hope this tidy’s things up a bit round here.

3 Likes

Hmm, when I search in:pinned I see 11 topics, not 8. The 8 mentioned above plus:

I’d say at least the last two of these if not all three should not be pinned. I’d also unpin About the Videoos category. If I were in charge. Which I am not, thankfully.

I have received feedback about cheap component search and the tuner module is in an appropriate place. I think the number of pins is much more under control atm when you select a specific category.

1 Like