No more mutable?

Just curious what everyone thinks about this.

4 Likes

Not particularly new. They are moving on. We won’t see new modules for the indefinite future, but everything is or will be open-sourced so I expect there is quite the volume of work for other manufacturers to pull from (beyond basic clones).

3 Likes

It’s sad but it’s been coming for a good few years now. I just hope their forum stays up. It’s a treasure trove of info about the designs and the Wayback Machine doesn’t archive Discourse forums properly. Oh well.

4 Likes

Yikes!

I do seem to recall that Discourse forum content is reasonably easy to download, but maybe that only applies to one’s own content.

Nevertheless there are plenty of web crawlers you can use to archive content so it can be preserved in archive form. What you can then lawfully do with the content is a matter of site licensing.

2 Likes

Discourse is a little funky to crawl because of how it works.

Apparently there are workarounds, including a way to ask discourse to send a static web page version of the data making it easier for a traditional crawler to index the site.

3 Likes

Oh for sure! It’s a matter of time before they are archived properly.

1 Like

I tested this forum on the Wayback Machine just now and it turns out Discourse forums now can be archived. They just look even worse than PHPbb forums from the late 90s.

2 Likes

I looked at one LMNC topic there, all the image links were bad and even though it was crawled in April, it only had posts up through last July.

3 Likes