Old school arcade joystick project

It does, and blue is my favourite colour too. The base will be epoxied on, because designing the cover to take screws, then providing either inserts or captive nuts is just an overkill. It it breaks, I’ll cut it apart, and go print another (improved by then) case.

1 Like

If you want to see a really old school joystick, here’s Trevor Pinch’s DIY synth, built around 1972 and still in use:

5 Likes

That joystick looks like one commonly used with RC models. I like the functional look of it, and the Dymo labels! Had a double take there, still in use. Really cool. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, to be crystal clear, when Trevor Pinch built his synth, the concept of an “arcade joystick” probably hadn’t been invented. That’s how old school this is. Joystick controls were for RC model planes and very little else. Maybe that Sunday TV game show The Golden Shot.

2 Likes

There’s a video about this synth:

6 Likes

What I did for my keyboard was add vertical sections to the base, so it’s printed kinda like this (100% not to scale!)
Then made a tiny pilot hole and whacked in some very small self-tapping screws to bite into the uprights. Might be a good match, rather than taking the permanent option?
(Yes, I did just sketch that in MS Paint!)

1 Like

Yeh, could use some chamfered self tapping screws. I think that the inside can still be accessed through the joystick hole at the top. It’s quite big and easy to remove. Having 3 meters of cable is great. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Relating to RC models… I took my old DJI Mavic controller apart, and those joysticks were based on magnets and hall sensors. Interesting, because there are no pots to wear out. Also there is no drag on the stick, so they feel super slick!

3 Likes

Keeping it joystick, I built this for a project (including making the cable) and finally got a chance to test it all - everything is good :+1:

The board’s an ESP32 running the Espruino Javascript firmware - Javascript is my comfort zone and I’m friendly with the guy behind the Espruino project. For my planned experiments I’ll probably have it keep Wifi (and maybe even Bluetooth) switched off unless explicitly activated for debugging or something.

4 Likes

I have been working on a Joystick module. Just gotta finalize it then order some PCBS. Witches Brew stick CV Joystick Module V.1'ish

3 Likes

That’s really creative, the ESP32 is so versatile, didn’t know it could speak javascript… Got one with a display on it in the bits box. I’m building a 9 pin to USB converter, with purchased complete parts in the mechanical engineering parlance.

1 Like

ESP32 actually has three different JS engines that I know of - Espruino is, in my opinion, the best (although a bit of a ballache to get set up to start with) because you get a command prompt on the device. (It’s actually designed for Espruino-specific hardware, but the open source nature means it’s been ported to a load of different architectures.)

There’s also low.js, which promises to be a cut down version of node but really isn’t mature enough, and Mongoose OS which used to have quite a nice built-in IDE but dropped it some time ago, along with the pick-up-and-fiddle vibe I like.

There’s also versions of Python, for people who like that sort of thing, and there’s a way of crashing the hardware to get to a built-in BASIC interpreter!

3 Likes