C64 Resurrections

Hey cosmonuts-
I know it’s been a while! I saw this tonight and wondered:
I don’t suppose anyone here has seen anything about these units and what their SID Chip (emulation I assum) is like, have they?

5 Likes

No clue! Just commenting to say hi!

2 Likes

Buy one and report back! (Hi!)

2 Likes

I have used one of these. You’re better off using a Raspberry Pi, acquiring some ROMs, and taking 30 minutes to set up RetroPie with VICE.

The audio seemed OK, just same old emulated SID I suppose. There’s a distinct lack of music making ROMs available for the C64 though, so I didn’t have the means to test its multitracking capabilities.

1 Like

They’re rubbish. Save your money. Massively underpowered and poor quality emulation software - input latency, even with the “improved” firmware, makes it feel like you’re wading through molasses (the original firmware was even worse). You pay a premium for the appearance and get disappointment from everything else about it.

I won mine in a competition and I still feel annoyed by how bad it is.

4 Likes

Yeah I would agree with all of this. They’re an overpriced novelty lump of plastic with half an STM chip and wiring that was put together by a 3 year old that went mad with a hot glue gun.

I think the one I borrowed to fix had a broken USB port from the factory as well.

2 Likes

Like @Caustic , just to say hello :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey there! Glad you’re still about!

3 Likes

Nice to see you sir! Hope all is well!

3 Likes

Here everything is fine :smiley:, it has been a long time since we read you here !

2 Likes

For those interested in the basic concept of a full-sized replica of a classic 8-bit computer, you can buy renovated original keyboard consoles adapted to work as USB keyboards. Putting a Raspberry Pi inside and replacing the back panel with USB and HDMI sockets is a reasonably straightforward DIY job.

The retro field is very well developed and well served. If you don’t want to mess with software configuration, companies like Cloanto (“Amiga Forever” and “C64 Forever”) will sell you a massive amount of preconfigured, autoupdating software complete with fully licensed copies of the original ROMs.

2 Likes

Happy seeing the latest FPGA efforts though, id love to see the same applied here.

3 Likes