My build progress

It’s that second thing! :wink: I have an assload of those sitting around from experiments I was doing that resulted in a cv panner, and of course that meant I also knew how to work the code. I also kind of wanted to keep it as cheap as possible on principle, but springing for a better DAC wouldn’t have been that much more and probably wouldn’t have been that hard to convert the code to either. For the ATTinies, I ended up having to use a shiftOut routine instead of vanilla SPI. Janky, I admit, but it works! In the end I probably won’t use it, but I had in the back of my mind to create the cheapest and most accessible DIY “West Coast” setup I could for anyone who was interested in experimenting with it. This, maybe next a couple of LPG/VCA hybrids with those vactrols I have sitting there, a couple oscillators (!) and the 108… The more I type about it the less I feel like I’ll ever really put out the instructions but hey, what have we got but time and anxiety these days?

6 Likes

That is absolutely a thing of beauty, DeviceX-I love that color! Is that done with a regular color (paper) printer on sticker paper? It looks like a production model!

4 Likes

I built a case for my Eurorack modules. I’m unreasonably tickled by the white rubber feet. Next, working on my Kosmo case made out of pieces from a reclaimed TV stand my neighbor was getting rid of a few weeks ago.

12 Likes

nice work there :+1:

4 Likes

printed on colored craft paper then sprayed with lacquer to seal it .

5 Likes

Thats rad, dig the color. I shoulda painted, my case still smells a bit even after being outside for a day.

4 Likes

Nothing unreasonable about white rubber feet. The egg blue and white feet add to a superb early 60’s vibe. Just needs off white white bakalite knobs. Love it!

5 Likes

Thing is, it’s actually wood stain. I just couldn’t get it to soak in properly, so I laid it on thick and now it looks more like paint. I should have been more patient with the sanding, probably. The wood still kinda shows through.

3 Likes

Well that makes it even more fascinating. Where did you find a wood stain that hue and what was the underlying wood? I agree that the white rubber feet make the design.

2 Likes

It’s called Vintage Aqua and I found it at Home Depot. The wood is just common project board so some sort of pine I imagine.

5 Likes

got my 2 MFOS dual vca’s done today .

12 Likes

Wanting to make some panels, but just have to use what i got around. I had some cigar boxes so i just cut them into kozmo format!

11 Likes

Oh cool-I hope that wood burned logo makes it onto the front of a module. That would give it a real professionally-unpolished look!

4 Likes

I love that term lol. I was thinking of paining it black and text with a highlight to hide the graphics though since it may make it harder to read, but im also thinking it can look kinda charming that way shrug.

3 Likes

I would think with a black spray paint and a light coat or two of poly acrylic it would show through beautifully, like the kind of thing people with more money than time have their homes designed with!

1 Like

How thick is that stuff? I know Bastl uses or has used wood panels on their Eurorack modules but I believe I read something about their thinning the wood on the back side around the component holes to get them to fit.

4 Likes

Most are about 3mm, the thickest is 5mm. Given the varying quality of materials i am taking care when drilling and spacing the holes away from the edges. might reinforce with a bit o glue. Will report back with any issues.

Here is a pic comparing thickness to the PCB style i also use.

5 Likes

Oh, right, come to think of it, I’ve done that myself. Never made a cigar box synthesizer but here’s a cigar box ukulele preamp.

You can see where I used a Forstner bit to thin the wood for the jacks.

(Oh, and looking at that picture gives me the idea you might try gluing paper to the back of a wood synth panel to strengthen it.)

6 Likes

LMNC super simple mixer w/3.5mm to 1/4 converters

6 Likes

Neato! guess what i am using my new panel for? A mixer / multiple! looks like we were thinkin about the same dealio. :slight_smile:

4 Likes