My build progress

I lacked VCOs to make more brrrrrrr.

My first tries with JLCPCB, and that was quite conclusive.

I think I have enough for a moment now.

Thanks to the community who helped me troubleshoot

15 Likes

You print you panels?

Yup, for now they’re a quick and dirty job, but later I’d like to make them fancier, maybe with transparent PETG — I’d like to go for the Y2K semi-translucent aesthetic. I’ve also been looking at my options to CNC some acrylic or polycarbonate, but I don’t think I’ll pursue this route.

They’re made with FreeCAD for now:

7 Likes

Nice! Will you have shiny lights behind your semi-translucent panels?
I remember making my first panel drilling plan with FreeCAD!

The Dual Balter Gate Delay (initially inspired by @Dud ) is done :slight_smile:

14 Likes

your art work is awesome !

5 Likes

Oh, definitely proud :+1:.

7 Likes

Oh rats! The ICs are leaving. They are already crossing the road. You know they always leave before the rats, don’t you. Doom is imminent, IMMINENT!

2 Likes

Nice!

It seems a bit of a waste to not use 4 Schmitt triggers and 4 opamps. You might consider using some of those as inverters of the signals (or standalone) and add them as extra outputs.

1 Like

I found that (at least at audio rates) the 40106 has a fair amount of crosstalk if you use too many gates, seems most plans I found suggest not using more than 4. Either way, the two CMOS chips cost a few cents each, so build simplicity was more important here.

I think so, I made a few experiments a while ago, LEDs diffuse nicely through printed panels with this rectilinear pattern, which is the only one that yields acceptable transparency:

7 Likes

It could be interesting to use modifier geometries in PrusaSlicer to print most of the panel in an opaque pattern and create small transparent sections where the LEDs can shine through.

1 Like

This is my take on the Buchla 292 - VCA / Low Pass Gate / Low Pass Filter.

Admittedly, the panel could have been a bit wider. Maybe in the next version …

12 Likes

I know you get told this a lot, but those wooden panels are awesome

3 Likes

Oh, I don’t mind :wink: … thx anyway! I promised a week or so ago to write a bit about how I make them, and the promis still stands, but I’ve been quite busy. Now recovering from a cold, so maybe next week I’ll get round to it.

6 Likes

The last panel hole is filled, ready for my first live gig tomorrow :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

Got a good bit of my DMG built, got the shell replaced, back light in, bivert chip sorted.
Going to do sound mods tomorrow. Amp, RCA (prepot) and 3.5 jack (postpot)

Aaaand another pita popped up to… Horizontal screen lines.

Urghh look at them.

13 Likes

Nice! Do you have some melodies and patterns prepared in the beatstep or do you do it all live? Did you practice some songs in detail or more improvisation? Will there be a recording? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have not prepared anything to be honest, so it will be an improvisation session :sweat_smile: i have some patterns in the beatstep and the key step but that’s a total mess…
Yes i have a mixer with 12 channels and they are recorded on SD card individually, but don’t expect anything awesome, it will likely be close to a disaster :joy:

3 Likes

Disaster punk synth is now officially a recognised genre - you’re a pioneer!

Break a leg!

Cheers

7 Likes

A lot of issues to fix, but half the inputs work. Merging all 3 HAGIWO Arduino DCO in one, merging various existing circuits.

6 Likes