My build progress

All it is is a tab that goes down into the slot originally intended for a sheet music stand, and then a shallow curve that follows the curve of the keyboard case.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it fits other keyboards, but the only one I have here to try is this PSR-330 I got for free.

Quickly testing it seems to work well. The person I got the PCB and panel off of also has problems with his sub, but he had done up a Mouser BOM which I used, and when I received my order I found a cap value was wrong. He had ordered a 0.082 uf cap when the BOM called for 0.0082 uf. When I told him this he said that cap has something to do with the sub osc and might fix his problem.

I also saw on the build guide that theres a section at the bottom for what to do if your sub osc isn’t working properly - just in case you hadn’t seen that.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uw0ROt0o1AEQDd4pxRiY9IQ7ZZj0GC89?usp=sharing

That’s the file if anyone’s interested, or wants to recontour it to another keyboard. You can see I played with a few angles. The lip on the bottom is 90 degrees in relation to the plane the synth sits on top of, which doesn’t match the angle of the Behringer case. That’s because I originally planned to epoxy a scrap of 1/2 plywood across the two to make a little table, but the synth case sat plenty stable without it, so I just skipped the plywood

1 Like

Soon it will be a 8 steps sequencer with Gate & Trigger out, reset switch, manual step.
And with a on/off/on switch on each step you can cut the CV & gate/trigger, and also choose the number of step.

base on the Baby10 schem with a CD4017

9 Likes

After I built it mine didn’t work. I put it aside for another time to diagnose. That was months ago. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Did you program your Shruthi from a blank chip? Which filter did you choose? I’m having a hard time getting my ATMega644 to program.

1 Like

Finally found the time to start working on this old thing:

3 Likes

Give fixing it a shot - it’s a cool module, I’m having fun with it! The way the pots interact is a bit odd, took some fiddling to get it figured out, but I’m getting some cool sounds out of it now.

Can’t help with the Shruthi - that’s the module tester back there, which is currently acting as my power supply. Hopefully getting a real power supply soon - I be reached the max draw and have to unplug half the rack to power up Bassline!

Here’s another report with photos on aluminum panels from JLCPCB:

https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=180347&start=300#p3570274

which among other things confirms the silkscreen on back (which is important if you want the ID number to go there).

I actually just sent an order yesterday for a test panel but now I think I know enough to go ahead with an order without waiting for the slow shipping to arrive.

4 Likes

Alright, last update on this for a good while, I swear! I’m pretty freaking happy with it.

Cleaned up the side panels a bit, then this morning found a spare panel I had made up for the mixer - it’s only got holes for jacks so I chose which five patch points I wanted and hooked them up. I’ve got more wired to the buffer board though, so when I finish up the case I can patch everything I want.

So for now I’ve got

1. Metalizer CV in
  2. Oscillator out (this is post-mixer so I can get everything and mix them off the one. Also post the internally wired connections - lfo to metalizer, pwm and pitch (amount controllable on knobs) and vibrato (controllable with modwheel)
  3. envelope 1
  4. envelope 2
  5. selectable LFO

Once I finish everything up this will give me a whole lot of options, but what I’m most excited about right now is as I said above, I have to unplug most of my rack to use Bassline, so now I’ve got an externally powered LFO, two envelopes and an extra oscillator. Woohoo!!

So, left to do:

1. I’ve got new brackets coming Monday or Tuesday. I did up plastic templates then dropped them off at a steel shop I work with to do up something more permanent
  2. Decide what I want to do with the case long term, re-cut a new one, add in a front panel for jacks. I think I want the back to be easily removable without screws, so I need to have a think on that.
  3. Find my damn roll of velcro and clean up the wiring
  4. Keep soldering (this will be put on hold until I sort out the case)
  5. Mount the buffer board. Just need to find appropriate size spacers and screws. Been to a few hardware stores and can’t find something right and trying to avoid paying shipping on two screws and two standoffs. So I might just tape the board in place for now and grab those next time I order somewhere.

So, long way to go until it’s done where I want to be, but I’m extremely thrilled with it right now.

4 Likes

Today i’ve made half on a Dual AD/AR.

And like in all my cases i need one or two VCAs, i had build maybe 5 from Niklas Rönnberg with CA3080, i like it, but each time it was a little borring to convert his version (in 2 part and with the pot on the board)

so i prepared a stripboard layout

5 Likes

I just want to say how impressed I am with your stripboard prolificness.

3 Likes

(for the curious, schematics and some circuit analysis in this thread.)

(btw, the original design is from the ASM-1 “single PCB modular” by Gene Stopp (archived ASM-1 home page). Rönnberg redraw the schematics and made a stripboard layout, but the original is by Stopp, based on earlier work by Bernie Hutchins of Electronotes fame and opamp legend Walt Jung (who I’m pretty sure is behind the supply voltage trick that puzzled us in the other thread.))

2 Likes

Dual ADAR, i need to buy some 1M pot

3 Likes

Hey all,
I quickly wanted to thank all the people who are posting and answering questions. It has been super useful to me.
My build is going well. It is a fully working synth so I am going to pause now for a bit (so I can actually play with it). Coming back soon with more modules… I never thaught it would be so addictive.
b.

13 Likes

LOL yeah been there doing that .

4 Likes

Finally done with the big mixer! Top row does not work but I already found that I forgot to solder the output socket -.- xD

13 Likes

looks like a baby 8 :slight_smile: , you must have lots of cab space

1 Like

I’ve just finished a Timbre module from NLC

i’ve made some couple of resistors or used trimmer to have some values :slight_smile:

and i need again a 15uf cap (EDIT : difficult to find and i’ve just seen in the BOM that a 10 or 20 uf don’t make difference, i’ll go to 10 :slight_smile: )

7 Likes

did you just copy the circuit from the end of the build guide?

2 Likes

Yes i’ve made a stripboard layout from this schem (with the mod write in description)

3 Likes