My build progress

Silkscreen but not copper or solder mask?

yes that’s correct

Hi, I’m ordering some panels. Can you tell me whether aluminium PCBs can have a silkscreen on both sides?

hi
yes,we can

Okay, so I put 1 Cu file, 1 Mask file, 2 Silks files?

yes,right

2 Likes

Spent my morning building the “noise drum” - few hours of building, maybe an hour and a half of troubleshooting, still no go. Will keep troubleshooting once the child goes to sleep tonight

My understanding is signal is supposed to flow through D2, then to the 1k resistor, then to the LED.

The blue markings here are where I am currently getting audio signal, and the green is where I expect I should but am not getting anything.

1 Like

That lil troll dude looks chill.

2 Likes

have you the schem ?

edit : it look like this

i don’t know if it’s important but it seems you use 1N4148 diodes instead of 1N4001

here’s a verified version

it seem to be exactely the same.
I think that your problem don’t come from the layout stripboard.

btw i don’t really understand your colors indications

10uf must be connected in line E and F (you put a blue on D )

all your blue and greem marks, it’s for me all the trigger circuit, not sound

sorry if i not understand :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes - I have the schematic, but thanks.

Yes - I did use the wrong diodes. My mistake, I’ll dig through my box and see if I have the right ones anywhere.

My caps are in the correct spot, my lines showing where I was tracing was a bit messy, just to show where on the component.

With that all said, it’s working! Looks like my time spent debugging was all for nothing - the problem wasn’t with the circuit, it was with the trigger. I was using my Chipz LFO yesterday. This morning I thought maybe to try a different one, so i sent it signal from my Ataxia LFO and it works!

I’ll see if I can make a trip down to the electronics store today though. If I can’t find a couple 1N4148 diodes in my parts box I’ll grab those, but I need some capacitors. I didn’t have the right values for what you had put on your layout so I just used whatever is closest to see if it worked. Now that its working I’ll play around with cap values.

2 Likes

Happy that’s work :slight_smile: :musical_keyboard: :musical_note:

1 Like

I doubt that 1N4148 vs 1N4001 matters here, especially since the verified layout says “signal diode” (which 1N4148 is) and “N4148”.

(1N4001 is a rectifier diode that can handle more current than the 1N4148, but that circuit isn’t anywhere near the 1N4148 current limits, unless perhaps if you feed thousands of volts through the circuit which isn’t a good idea…)

2 Likes

Heres a quick sample of how it sounds before I fix the caps. First time trying to make a kick sound, and messing about with trying to find an odd rhythm that works. Not great, but having fun with it.

I had to unplug one of my filters to power up the noise drum and only had fifteen or twenty minutes to play before having to head to the office, so I’ll keep messing about later

1 Like

Is it possible that line and neutral can be swapped e.g. when rotating the plug 180 degrees? If so, you better switch both wires, that would make the circuit a bit safer to work with.
If that is not possible, then you might still want to do so, in case someone wired the socket in the wrong way or you use the device somewhere where that could be possible.

There may be a norm (in my country we follow something called a NEN-norm) that demands that it be done in electrical devices in your country. It is always wise to follow such a norm.

1 Like

I’m working on a display that will show energy levels in Vocode-O-Matic’s carrier, modulator and output signals per frequency band. I’ve been experimenting with a small SPI-display. The picture shows 2 (random data) sonagrams. Imagine the vertical axis of each sonagram (= series of spectra) to show the frequency band and the horizontal axis to show the time. Each colored square represents the energy in a given frequency band at a given time. This looks promising you might think, but refreshing the display is too slow at the moment. I may have to skip the library code I’m using now and start to program the display controller directly …

8 Likes

3 and 4 in the works …

9 Likes

I’ve just finished a Multi PWM module from Barton schem :slight_smile:

9 Likes

You got a sound demo for this one? I don’t quite understand what it’s all about.

3 Likes

I was too afraid to ask!

1 Like

http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/multipwm/index.html

1 Like

Ah, cool. Like a bitcrusher/chiptuner/distortion/voltquantizer? Barton has some really creative module ideas that I never see anywhere else. Trying to think how I would use this musically but I’m sure I could have some fun with it.

2 Likes

Barton has a tonne of stuff that I look at and go “oh, that’s really cool!” But I have no use for

2 Likes

I love the pwm! It can from subtle to pretty mashed. And it’s simple build.

2 Likes

yeah they are quirky , like Mr Barton built them for specific things he was doing . I do have over a half dozen of them they are cheap easy builds and fun to experiment with .

1 Like