My build progress

20 char of i second this lolol

4 Likes

oh all right you win , your stuff always looks cool !

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering how you fastened the tube holder and the ā€˜mirrorsā€™. Could you maybe upload a picture taken from the side so that we can see the modules inner parts?

1 Like

Yeah, finished my GRR yesterday and itā€™s Funky :slight_smile:

1 Like

Today I finished my first Kosmo stripboard module: the Twin T Kick Dum from @Dud. It was also the first time I made a front panel from aluminium and Iā€™m quite happy with it. At first I wanted to paint the panel black, but the aluminium panels have a brushed look, so I decided to leave it that way and just stick some white labels on it.

10 Likes

Looks great! Can we hear it?

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a very small demo. I had to trigger it by hand and hold my phone to film it, but at least you can hear how it sounds.

I will also try to make a little drum machine of an esp8266 board I have lying around. And when my Keystep Pro arrives, I will make a new demo.

5 Likes

Hi @Jos, I wanted to keep things simple and tidy but it turned into a nightmare on the inside :exploding_head:
The 2 large stand-offs and the valve consume a lot of space. I struggled to fit everything inside and had no pot that could be mounted directly to the 5mm thick front plate. If I make a 2nd Iā€™ll do things differently.

Another not so clever idea was to use the 2nd half of the op-amp to make the led flicker. The strobe effect is quite audible which cannot stay like that.

4 Likes

One year in

I still need to work out what is up with my first megadrone(not shown) and the 1113 has never seemed right.

But happy with where I have got to in a year.

13 Likes

Did you end up building that MFOS log/lin vca?
Iā€™ve got the Electric Druid ā€œVintage VCAā€ on the breadboard about to test, wondering if I should try the MFOS as well. Trying to build with non-specialty ICs whenever possible.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll be doing mine fairly soonā€¦ going to finish the VCO and do the LFO first though.

I kinda feel the same about specialty chips. Iā€™m sure theyā€™re good but the old school builds are rewarding in their own way.

3 Likes

I had used a flickering led its internal so no omp amp needed . havenā€™t noticed any noise.

Yuup, its done!

This is the temporary panel layout so that I can screw it into the rack until the right one is ready.

It works wonderfully. I didnā€™t build it on a stripboard, but on a printed PCB that a friend gave me as a gift. It worked immediately without adjusting anything, really very well and normal components TL074, 2n3904, linear potentiometers and resistors, nothing unusual.

6 Likes
1 Like

I started my module-building journey shortly after UK lockdown started last year - this after a long break from doing circuit building and electronics, and it was great to get back into itā€¦

ā€¦ however I found myself building module after module and without a case to put them it, the only way I could do anythign with them was to jerry rig something up on the workbench each time I wanted to try something out!

Having got bored/frustrated with that, I (perhaps a little later than I should have) decided to build a case and put the modules in place.

Results in the pics - first modules, first case. Power supplies are built and will be installed next, once I get some round-head screws instead of the flat heads Iā€™ve used for now.

Very excited about having this ready to go at any time - I should have build it sooner!

17 Likes

It makes me so happy to see all these monstruous KOSMO machines popping up in the world!

8 Likes

I just spent some time squaring things off with the new top piece and checked the rails would fitā€¦ one might need a little sanding down but ill do that later.

It was nice to check everything and have my first ā€˜It feels like a thingā€™ moment.
Progress is slow, but rewarding =)

Modular synths and woodwork are ace =D

7 Likes

Your ā€œ1 year inā€ looks WAY better than my Kosmo 1 year in! :joy:

Everything sitting on the top, minus the AO module doesnā€™t work properly and/OR I am too afraid to plug it in to find out. I think thereā€™s something like 7 or 8 modules that need diagnosed. The module with the mess of wires on top was one of the first ones I made but Iā€™m too afraid to plug it in. Itā€™s the BMC User Writeable Quantizer in Kosmo format.

6 Likes

Sitting there itā€™s uselessā€¦
Plugging it in will give one of two results :

• it works, yay !
  • it doesnā€™tā€¦ well it isnā€™t more useless than just sitting in that boxā€¦
9 Likes

Since I finally gave in and got an automatic wire stripper figured I need to catch up on ā€œfinishedā€ modules that were waiting on wiring:

So both of my homemade 3340ā€™s are now working!

Also pictured the 3 k25ā€™s that are done.

Still need to finish wiring my Yusynth ARP4072 and see if it worksā€¦maybe tonight.

11 Likes