My build progress

So consequently that makes us all like the same images :wink: ?!

1 Like

I have other spring reverbs, they can be a bit muddy but considering how complicated the drive/recovery circuit is I was expecting a lot more fidelity. Fingers crossed soundtronics will come up with something or point out if Ive made a glaring mistake!

1 Like

No :slight_smile:
But when something goes wrong on a module, we all see blue smoke,
but hear PIFF/PAFF/POFF/POUF depending on our hearing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve found over the years that (particularly consumer) electronics when they blow up do so in a disappointing way. I’ve seen too many movies, I know…

2 Likes

In fact to clarify a little, it made rather a “CLAK !” :grin:

1 Like

UPDATE: I pulled the tank out my guitar amp (same impedance luckily!) Made a huge differnce, the mud has gone but there is still a fair bit of roll off.

1 Like

Working on this modules at the moment.

MFOS dual Lin/Log VCA
and

Erica Synths Polovolks ADSR aka a lot of components on a little space :slight_smile:

I finally found a cheap Clouds Clone. It is a through hole variant and has only 2 SMD chips, I will probably get that. I’ve wanted to start the SMT thing for a long time anyway. So, I hope to be able to call a Clouds my own soon. Besides, I was absolutely thrilled, I simply linked the velocity from the beatstep (in VCV rack) with the feedback poti from a delay. Very cool, you have to try it out! But it’s probably old hat and I’ll just hang behind again :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was going to mention that different tanks have different impedance’s , I seem to recall there are two very common values .

2 Likes

(Apologies for the wall of text)

Finished my Befaco bf-22 sallen key filter. I don’t know if I’d recommend anyone else do this, because it was a pain in the butt.

All of Befaco’s stuff looks really cool, but I could never bring myself to buy them. They’re usually sold as complete parts kits, and they’re really spendy. Like, “Wait, why isn’t it assembled for this price?” kind of spendy.

I while back I saw a listing for a bf-22, PCBs only on Reverb and jumped on it. It was still a lot to pay for just PCBs, but heck, I wanted a sallen and I went for it. I didn’t even bother looking at BOM. I’ve built almost 40 different kits, mostly from LMNC and Frequency Central, so I figured I’d have most of the bits in stock. My original plan was to just build it in its original Eurorack format, thinking that would be “simpler”

It turned out just about everything on this bugger is weird. 1/8 instead of 1/4 watt resisters, every cap needed to be a low profile version to fit under the daughter board, a power connector with a 90 degree bend, and I never did find the pots. When I Googled the part numbers they came up as some special Befaco branded pot; The only difference being the foot print, so the normal ones I buy by the sack won’t work.

I almost just put it back up for sale… but I really did want the filter…

I ended up bending 2 “regular” pots into the holes. The frequency cut off turn the opposite direction of my other filters, but that’s not a big deal. I also mounted the daughter board on the opposite side from were its supposed to be so I could use regular caps.

So here it is, a Kosmo bf-22. It was a difficult birth, and still needs to be calibrated, but it has THAT sound. I love my other filters. The White Faces, the Grrrs, my A-101-1. I wouldn’t trade any of em, and I don’t think I’ll trade this one either.

8 Likes

KOSROLZ :smiley:

13 Likes

I don’t really understand your modules or Ciat’s, they are very special BUT they are just amazingly beautiful, panel and especially the PCBs, really great!

3 Likes

Today I finished the k25 series LFO, and a couple of days ago I finished the k25 series AR/EG. I now have 5 kosmo modules and I am really enthusiastic about it. Now I have an LFO, I was able to make a patch that sounds a lot like the song Children of Stranger things. I still have a lot to learn about creating patches, but I am really happy I was able to recreate this one.

6 Likes

Can you give a link to the clouds clone? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Today I tested a 3 vactrol “VCA” : well, but i have a dual VCA to fix this afternoon :unamused:

EDIT : the Dual VCA is ok, just a dead led and a mistake with led indicator source (CV1 only, so CV2 don’t work, i put it on the output jack to have both signal)

and also i tested my CV/Wheel Joystick mix shematic : :+1:

9 Likes

I get it privately and already with the mcu flashed, but if you are familiar with SMD, there are also inexpensive PCBs from many MI modules including BOM

https://www.amazingsynth.com/clouds-pcb/

Here’s another clone that I personally find downright sexual :slight_smile: ! The SMD parts are pre-installed on it and it has some extra controls, but it is NOT cheap (for my standards).

Cheers THOGRE

4 Likes

Got this gross looking UB802 on eBay for 15 bucks.

Decided to disassemble it, had no idea if it even worked or not, there was shit rattling around inside lol.

Got the faceplate all cleaned off!

Tended to all of the disgusting grimly pots and switches. Etc.

Got it all back together to test, and it powered right up!

Put all of the knobs, nuts, and washers in the Ultrasonice and it looks almost new again!
I would say… well worth 15 bucks on eBay. Lol

14 Likes

Amazing work! What a find.

2 Likes

Great stuff!

We should make a restoration thread.

7 Likes

Nice job!
A few months ago I grabbed an Alesis Microverb 3 and a Behringer Phaser pedal which was new for 19 € including shipping. You have to be lucky sometimes!

3 Likes

Just finished this one:

Now I can finally test my modules without having to rely on weird contraption!

8 Likes