My build lack of progress

nice , wish I had excess to trees like that . looks like some good heat there.

2 Likes

Just spent four days on house projects. Completely emptied the garage (every single thing) and thoroughly cleaned it. Moved everything inside and went through it all resulting in a huge donate pile. Then I built a snowboard rack (and some other clever storage things) with a new table saw. After that, we went through all the old paint and stain from the previous owner. Finally, we put everything back on shelves. The good news is the garage is now pretty ideal for these projects.

5 Likes

I made some sketches first but improvised a lot while building. Just like when you make a song. You start with an idea, then you find some things donā€™t work out well and you change them while other things fall into place.

Dimensions are 4,35m x 7m (golden ratio) and itā€™s 3,8m high in the middle.

The arc should symbolize the water wheel that was once installed there.

8 Likes

Water wheel? Is this a converted mill? I mean this location looks absolutely beautiful. Is it your home? Iā€™d love to see more pics of it but Iā€™d understand if this wasnā€™t the place you wanted to show them-do you have other links to more images of it?

3 Likes

Yes, It was a mill and some parts are more than 300 years old. Iā€™d love to live in it, but it was used as a horse stable and in very bad shape when we bought the property. One larger room is finished. I have my synths and electronic workshop in there now.

5 Likes

Got up early today and worked on my TR808 high hats. Itā€™s 808 day after all, but Iā€™m only getting clicking sounds, and not sure what to check. Giving up for now.

3 Likes

Need to remove all that ivy, it looks nice and the bees love it but itā€™s growing into the tiles.

2 Likes

yeah thats the bummer about that stuff looks cool but it grows into the surface of what ever its on and blocks sun light so the surface never drys properly . donā€™t envy you that job looks like a lot of work .

2 Likes

After about a googol attempts over a few weeks, I finally managed to pull off a perfect score in a no-moving (but panning and zooming allowed) game of Geoguessr, Urban World map:

Which means I now have one less excuse to not get back to soldering.

6 Likes

Itā€™s 91Ā°F 93Ā°F at my electronics workbench.

3 Likes

Strange weather around these parts too. I think Seattle area is breaking some records today

5 Likes
4 Likes

Didnā€™t get much soldering done today.

8 Likes

I call that strategic procrastination.

4 Likes

Procrastination would have made me cook the pies tomorrow too :grin:

3 Likes

Big upheaval here as I move Kosmogenesis and Kosmodrome from the upstairs room to the basement. The basement gets cold in the winter (though at least it stays dry), but say what you like about how Eurorack is too compactified and cramped, thereā€™s no denying Kosmo gets big fast, and there just isnā€™t enough room upstairs to add more rows. Which I need to do, because Iā€™m out of case, again. As it is, Kosmodrome is blocking most of the only window in the room, and maneuvering around it and the Gray Meanie and the workbench and the keyboard is getting ridiculous.

I think the Gray Meanie will stay upstairs, though. The electronics workbench definitely will, canā€™t solder while shivering. And maybe Iā€™ll come up with a mini Kosmo setup for auditioning new modules before ā€œgraduatingā€ them to the basement.

Of course room had to be found in the basement, but thatā€™s just a matter of deciding what crap to throw out and shoving furniture around.

And then thereā€™s the matter of getting a recording setup going in the basement. The computer down there is a 2010-ish iMac. Iā€™m looking into putting Linux on it.

10 Likes

Personally, I run a 2011 hp elitebook with Ubuntu and Reaper to record, works like an absolute charm.

6 Likes

5 Likes

Itā€™s glorious.
I use Mint/Ubuntu for nearly everything.
Only reason I run Windows is for some pricey DAW software I bought that doesnā€™t drink.

2 Likes

Iā€™m quite happy with the fairly simple setup I have, which is an old Compaq CQ71 with Ubuntu Studio 20.04 (with the lighter weight Xfce desktop). I found Reaper a lot easier than Ardour to get working how I wanted, so forked out for the relatively cheap license.
Itā€™s hooked up to my multichannel mixer/audio interface and does sequencing duties via an inexpensive dual midi out usb cable thing.
So far so good, it can handle the midi, multi-track recording and a few fx on a couple of channels without melting down.

Cheers

3 Likes