Module Suggestion help -

Hey everyone!

So Tax time is coming up and I will have some extra spending monies.

I plan to get a Beatstep Pro coming up here soon and I have a good Idea of what I am going to do for the bass and melody lines for connection, but am at a complete loss for the drum sequencer aspect.

Do people go the route of having individual modules for independent drum voices to trigger and acct? or do people route the beatstep into a drum machine for the sounds?

I am a novice at connecting all the various gear, but the Beatstep Pro looks like it will be a wonderful tool for bringing everything together.

Suggestions for drum modules? all in one drum modules, independent voices.
The more cost effective, the better.
(I cant go spending ridiculous amounts or I would just get a bunch or erica synths drum modules and call it a day haha)

Thanks!

1 Like

When I had one, I just planned on building the wav trigger Sam posted about that one time.

2 Likes

Where would that be at? :slight_smile:

Something built around this one, I assume: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13660

Put samples on an SD card, trigger with MIDI (or buttons).

1 Like

if you have a polyphonic synth, you could use the drum sequencer to play polyphonic patterns.

You could also connect it to an axoloti for almost the same price, and create your very own drum machine. I’m working on it and it’s a lot of fun!

1 Like

Hey @d42kn355!

You can send a trigger for all 8 of those beatstep channels! In my video below, I used a triangle wave for bass, and a saw for lead, a single drum trigger for bass kick and a drum trigger to gate the AR on the MS20 filter. All LMNC stripboards!

2 Likes

Wav Trigger is mentioned here, alongside the BigButton:

Patreon build post here:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/sparkfun-wav-vid-17551079

1 Like

TEACH ME. lol -
Have any links with any further info or a project example?
I have this crazy board that I got along with some other boards in a generous transaction from Jonas. - it is an Axoloti to Eurorack Interface/Convertor.

I kinda need to obtain an Axo Core first… lolol… got ahead of myself on that one. :smiley:

I am currently using the beatstep pro with a volca sample, which I thought the easiest/cheapest route so far. I am a little bit unhappy with this and now I want to build some drum modules. I found some simple stuff here: https://soundbender36.wordpress.com/sommaire-synthetiseur-modulaire-diy/ But my current plan is to build the slightly more complex stuff from http://www.hexinverter.net/ (Legacy DIY, NeinOhNein and Liqiud Hihats etc.). I want to make my own pcbs with the modifications included, but this will take some time.

2 Likes

@sebastian I love you for that sommaire link. lol
SO MANY SCHEMATICS!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

Does anyone have any experience with this little guy?

It would like it would be perfect for the Drum Seq. portion of the Beatstep Pro!!! so many triggers on 1 minimal hp board/panel!

1 Like

fwiw, in case someone wants to DIY only a part of that, the schematics for an earlier iteration are available via this page:

Ignoring the built-in sequencer, the only slightly tricky bit is the noise generator; WN is white noise, the Osc1-4 outputs used for the cymbal are four square waves at 317, 465, 820, and 1,150 Hz summed together (the DR-110 uses CD4069 oscillators to produce these, so the frequencies are very much approximate).

3 Likes

very cool!! :smiley:
I will definitely look into that as well!

I am going to for sure DIY’ing Thomas Hendrys BD ++
That one sounds lovely.

2 Likes

So a local is selling a Yamaha DTXpress Drum Module on Marketplace for really cheap. ($30!!)
I took to the web to check out the Instruction Manual and it seems like this would be a great external module for Drums!

It has 8 Trigger Inputs, MIDI I/O, and loads of digital samples. (I am still going to get the LDB-2e for an Analog Drum Module :slight_smile: , made up my mind)

So there she be.
I am going to probably snag it from him on Monday! :smiley:

1 Like

That’s interesting! I never thought about it. Those are usually set up for piezo triggers, so I assume a 5v spike would do the job!

1 Like

Cool find, looks like this sold for $350 on reverb.

I think this is a demo of the sounds:

Sounds a bit more synthetic than the newer models, but i think we all know thats really better anyways! I dig it! well worth 30 buckazoids!

2 Likes

Also, seems to have a lot of kits. Seems a particularly good fit if you like the cheese (i do).

2 Likes

I was just watching the vid, this should be fun. lol
I love variety.
I wonder if samples can be loaded into it? there seems to be some kind of port for pc connection.

2 Likes

Casual searching on the interwebs sounds like a no. Oh well, even if thats not true, still nifty!

2 Likes