FAT T-Drums.... 4wide Kicks?

Whilst getting annoyed with the bongo on my TwinT drum module I wondered about building a Fat module.

The idea being you have 4 of the same drums, one trigger, one output. each has it’s own trim and control pot and a silent switch.

It could be a Kick,Bongo or Clave depending on how you built it. If you had 5 JLC PCB’s you could build one of each and have a spare.

Is this Crazy, is it just going to be sh…? Comments?

It’s a 50mm Module and the PCB’s almost there.

2 Likes

Not even checked the schematic or added any values it’s just in rough at the moment to allow my to check the PCB layout fits.

Cool! Really curious how this will turn out. A lot of time layerying sounds sounds better with a sliiiight offset, I wonder if there’s a way to stagger the triggers ever so slightly with a PT2399 or some other technique like in the 909 clap circuit.

2 Likes

It may just sound pants without a little delay, maybee is should breadbaord it…

1 Like

Excellent sneaky one-board design idea!

1 Like

Thinking out loud… Slew limiters in series with trimpots for the time connected to comparators to generate triggers… or maybe some sort of RC setup?
Using a whole PT2399 with associated baggage seems slight overkill.

2 Likes

Might want to put the transistors and stuff on the other side of the board from the control parts though!

1 Like

That’s interesting, I was imagining something based on the 40106 like this one: Easily Handclap circuit

2 Likes

Or y’know, use a really high speed 4017. Or one of @analogoutput 's logic ‘VCAs’ connected to a simple non-voltage controlled square oscillator. The options are endless.

2 Likes

I am a little more space conscious on my modules. I use Davies 1900H style knobs to keep space down. Not quite in the spirit of Kosmo being big and chunky but they work for me in my limited space…

2 Likes

this solution would be interesting too =>

and this one is an untested version inspired by the DR-110 clap:

Now I want to building a clap sound with more decay and reverb controls…

2 Likes