Module requests

Basically exactly like this :slight_smile: just additional controls for playback features and start points, I will look into that for sure!

To me, granular synthesis is quite straightforward if you section it up.

input : a sample, live audio, control signal.

Section : chop it up into little pieces (ā€œgrainsā€) using one of several common methods. Or one you invented.

Output : one, some or all of the grains in whatever means you fancy based on whatever you choose to controll the the output event, speed, repetition, orientation, amplitude, frequency, colour, smell or whatever you need to do to get the output you want.

The reason there are so many minds on this is there are an almost infinite number of ways to do granular synthesis. If youā€™re doing the three steps itā€™s a granular synth.

4 Likes

How can one achieve this? Is there any ā€˜versionā€™ of a microcontroller, that has enough memory capacity? Because loading in a sample in the active memory seems necessary and arduinos havenā€™t got that much active memory capacity

3 Likes

You may have heard Sam mention everyoneā€™s old pal Dave at notes and volts. This is where I got started making a granular synth (and yes it meets the criteria I mentioned so it IS a granular synth :))
Got pots, knobs and an arduino nano?
Head hereā€¦

4 Likes

Why load a sample when you can parse or affect playback with nothing. Itā€™s not memory size its how you read it ā€¦

3 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile: I know this one, but this is more on a synthesis standpoint than the actual sampling standpoint, as you actually granulate a triangle wave and not a recorded sample. However, it might still be the right point to start from

2 Likes

maybe incorporate tape and multiple tape heads?

2 Likes

Make a sample. Downsize it using audacity to 8bit and embed it in the code on the arduino instead of a triangle to pwm. Same thing. The sample is then an array in memory you can slice up at your whim. Not slick but not bad for a 4 quid nano.

3 Likes

Iā€™d love to see a spring reverb module in Kosmo format. I think everyone has a spare spring lying around

3 Likes

yep same!!! got one on a breadboard I should revisit! vca mix etc

5 Likes

Yes please!! I have been looking into reverb options and I would love to make my own spring.

3 Likes

I know that itā€™s pretty cool for what you put into, but I would really like something more on the sampling standpoint, a hardware instrument that does something like abletonā€™s granulator

2 Likes

Why not use something like the spark fun wav trigger to feed the sample audio into one of the circuits described in this thread?

3 Likes

Shuckies. I go to order and its gone! Any idea if and when the VCA/Mixer might be back in stock?

oh!!! shucks I havent got any updates they must have been down to a couple before the Christmas break, I have a bunch I need to pack I say 1 week the latest!!!

8 Likes

hello everybody! apologies on January no module from my side in the module a month oops! it went a bit wrong oscillator driver had a couple of teething issues, got a mini safety valve on the way and a weird mini sequencerish thing too! also regarding the big mumma delay its gunna be another month Iā€™m afraid as there may very well be pitch shifters added to each delay stage!

edit I have done something a little bit sacrilegious to the safety valve also. in order to get it in a 5cm wide module and have plenty of room for fingers I have omitted the tone control. WHYYY??? well its because the tone isnā€™t really anything valvey anyway its a bit of a half arsed tone right at the end of the circuit. This specific module doesnā€™t have any CVā€™s its like the original one (with an added engage switch), its like a plug in and play guitar pedal you whack on to get a bit more valvey beef and signal through. the safety valve is sorta like a gain stage in a way, the adjustments before it in modules are the things that make it interesting it picks out nice harmonics within it all so I donā€™t think much is lost in this cut back safety valve (plus im building it so I can fit 2 of them in the space of 1 in my drum section on kosmoā€¦ one after the other!)
however it does have a self oscillation mode!

13 Likes

No worries! I look forward to all of the above. I just got my 1114 GRR filters last week so Iā€™m well preoccupied with these wild monster filters.

2 Likes

cool!!! glad that filters interesting :smiley: its weird isnt it!!!

2 Likes

Itā€™s so weird! Iā€™m getting all sorts of great sounds out of it already.

1 Like

The grr is awesome. Every filter needs a built in attenuverterā€¦

2 Likes