MiChaCha - Midi Channel Changer

After finishing the VCO I started my next project. This time it’s not a module, its an additional device to change the midi channel on the fly. It is inspired by one of Sam’s music videos and his keyboard with the build-in midi channel knob.

The problem: All of my keyboards didn’t have a fast way to change the midi output channel, you have to go down into several menus and set the midi output channel, which will take a lot of button presses and a lot of time, very bad for live performances. So I decided to design this small box with an Arduino, an OLED display, some buttons/encoders and of course midi in and out.
With the 3 buttons you can select 1 of 3 saved output channels, you switch them by simply pressing the button. By using the encoder you can select and edit all parameters - the 3 output channel presets and the input channel. The Arduino translates the channel data of all incoming midi messages to the new selected channel and sends them to the output port.
For the future its possible to extend the functionality, e.g. to add some filter to the messages, or to change other midi data as well.

At the moment this project exists on my breadboard, next step is to design a pcb and a nice small case.

I will publish the code and the schematic once its finished, maybe it will be useful for someone.

7 Likes

Nice! It would be great if you could merge midi messages from multiple inputs, but I don’t know if that is possible with the Nano only having one hardware serial interface. Software serial might be to slow…

2 Likes

Midi has a very slow baudrate of 31250, so I think it will be no problem to emulate a second midi-in via software serial.

4 Likes

That would be cool, because the only thing that I do not like about the beatstep pro is that you can not play anything through the midi keyboard while the beatstep is running. Only while it’s on stop or on record. And I would love to play some notes along, just for trying out some stuff without recording or for playing a solo or something like that :slight_smile:

1 Like

It ist finished! :grin:
It took me a while, but after a lot of real-life-todo’s I found some time to finish this project. It works as designed, only the led is somewhat dim, I need to change the resistor.
As I mentioned earlier I will post the schmatic and additional infos later in this thread.

3 Likes

I request Sam posts on his site and YT how to build his keyboard including the MIDI channel knob.

-Fumu / Esopus

1 Like