ARDUINO MIDI looper / sequencer

Hi everyone.

I’m happy to share with the first version of my MIDI sequencer / looper.
It’s a 4 channels monophonic MIDI sequencer / looper, with up to 128 steps, made with an Arduino Nano. And I use it a lot for building music from scratch.
I did a small video about it, how it works … etc …

I put the design and all the explanations on my website.
http://www.ymnkmusic.com/diy-synths/midi-looper-sequencer/

I’m working on a second version now, with an OLED display, a SD card reader for saving/loading sequences … and without pull-down resistors (something I learned recently, thanks to the nice people from this incredible forum).

19 Likes

Awesome!! I already looked at your code some time ago, but it’s great to see a more ready version now! One question: can you sync it to another sequencer? If not, would it be hard to add that?

2 Likes

There’s 3 way for syncing an other sequencer :smiley:

1. there’s an analog sync output for CV sync clock
  2. there’s also a gate output (it sends a gate a each step, I use it to sync my DIY modular)
  3. there’s MIDI clock signal (start, stop & sync) send trough MIDI

Also it receives MIDI clock signal. So you can build 2 box and connect them together by MIDI and they will be synced.

So, it is MADE to be synced! haha

7 Likes

Very nice! Thanks for sharing this.

I recently found an unused enclosure box which I bought years ago, and I didn’t know what I should make with it, but now I do! :smiley:. I have all the parts I need to build this, so I will start building it very soon.

I also took a look at your code which looked nice and clean :+1:

2 Likes

Looks useful and versatile =) subbed and added to the build list.

Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Looks fantastic. I will probably attempt to make something like this at some point when I have some synth voices working to play with and when I have bought a suitable midi controller that has MIDI out.

2 Likes

woah this is excellent work!

3 Likes

Hi everyone and thanks for your feedbacks!

I just updated a new version of the circuit as the last one had some issues (I always invert MIDI pins … shame on me).

If anybody started to build it, my sincere apologies. I just have triple checked my blueprint!

5 Likes

brilliant. I’ll be making my own version soon :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Started my build today :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It’s not yet functional, but I feel observed…

auge

10 Likes

Haha, this is great! I should test those 8x8 led screen for futur projects!

3 Likes

I make a Mod of your work with 1602 lcd, velocity pot, forward, backward and random sequence and
step forward. Thanks for your work

13 Likes

Good work !
Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow, that’s very cool!
Did you use an Arduino Nano or a Mega?
I’m very curious cause I want to make an upgraded version of mine and I want to know if this LCD would fit with a Nano …

3 Likes

I have used an arduino nano but I think that for memory it is better to use a mega at least if it is possible to record sequences in the future.
I use outputs a4 and a5 for the lcd since they are the sda scl outputs of the lcd i2c. Of course I have put the switches in the digital connections and not in the analog ones as you put and in input-pull up mode to save resistors.
I do not use the potentiometer in the middle below at the moment, it is for a future connection.
I sent you a message from your website if you give me your email I send you the code, thanks again for your work.

4 Likes

Cool, thanks for these informations
Yeah, please feel free to reach me at alexis.zbik@gmail.com
I’ll be happy to get your code!

I didn’t get your mail, maybe my contact form is buggy or perhaps it went directly to the spam box :expressionless: I have to find a better contact form system

1 Like

It might be cool to share the code also here for those who might be interested. No ?

1 Like

I clean the code, I make a video this week and I pass the code in the video, OK?

PS I will also put the files to print the box on a 3d printer

4 Likes

Link code arduino and stl in video coments

8 Likes