Metronome hack to have a Bpm display for an analog master clock

This is a new project for a Master clock module with the hack of a cheapy China metronome who can drive a LED in tempo (vactrol used)!! Now you can have a BPM display of the tempo and “convert” it on analog pulses/clock/gate signal for your modular system, without midi processor or programming !! this is a good solution for have a notion of the beat if you don’t want to used programming !! (and very fun to jam with friends who have only midi hardware synth and sync with them). The metronome can generate different rythmics/burst and it have a tap tempo mod integrated !!! Now I can kick the beat in tempo !! :grin::facepunch::metal:
I want to mount it on a module and look to integrate this on a blank panel. Work in progress…

=> https://a.aliexpress.com/_BPJrQ8 <=

Videos are just quickly and dirty experiments just to give an idea of the concept

What do you think about this ?

6 Likes

Neat idea piggybacking on cheaply made tech and repurposing it, rather than just trying to do everything from scratch!

5 Likes

Thank China people and the capitalism !! (ironic muaha)
I have learn electronic only with cheapy electronic kits from China like function generators who I have hack to build lfo or oscillator bank , 555 pulses generator circuits to create clock generator, 2$ led chaser to make a step sequencer, lofi sampler with Isd1820 modules, drum machine with sound trigger modules or with sound greating card chip, noise generator with 1$ eqkit etc etc (take a look of icl8038 and Xr2206 kits for exemple). But now I can read and understand schematics :slight_smile:
I have buy a lot of Chinese module during one year in the idea of create sound. You can build a synth and a lot sound’s machines only from hack&mod of cheapy modules/kits from aliexpress /ebay/ and with a little of imagination… Tested and approuved (I have burn a lot of circuits too, but this is advantage of cheap hardware) :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Good idea !!! i like hack too, surely my begining in circuit bend :slight_smile:
maybe you can test to sync 2 of it (if it’s possible ?), to have some time division in the same time ?

3 Likes

Great idea ! It could be usefull, I must to work about this !

1 Like

it reminds me of a test I did with an old mechanical metronome, i added some metal contacts on each side, with the common middle, that triggered bend things at left then at right in rythm, it was fun but not very usefull :slight_smile:
all ideas are not allways good, but it is by trying that sometimes we find some good one.

2 Likes

Something like this ? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

mine was more mechanical and passive but it’s that :slight_smile:
piezzo ! ah yes is better.

1 Like

Its just an experiment but I have not found the utility lol

1 Like

The output clock will be at the 1/2 of the input signal… If you tic 90bpm it wil’ output 45bpm. Maybe I can also used a cd4027 instead of the 4017 to have a real clock generator… But I have abandonned this idea since I have found the metronome of the first post.

1 Like

My test should always be in a box where I put all the scrap pieces and rotten projects : the mess box, but sometimes I go back to snooping in.

1 Like

Muaha same to me, I re-discovering some unfinished projects when I search something in my mess. I could be curious to see your test when you have time.
I had begin some mechanical/electro-acoustic sound’s box projects too, with solénoïde, spring, piezo etc. It could be cool if I finish this.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this project! I have a couple of metronomes laying around and have often wondered how they could be utilised. This has given me some ideas to play with. I also have some quirky old drum machines that rely on quartz timing circuitry - I’m going to try hacking a gate out based on the beat indicator lamps.
Cheers!

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback ! Keep us informed of your progress !! :slightly_smiling_face: what type of drum box ?

1 Like