Modular clock signal

Hey everyone, well I wanted to build something for a friend that requires the knowledge of how does work the modular clock?

For example what’s the frequency of this clock for 120 BPM? What’s the relation between the clock and the BPM…?

Thank for taking attention ^^

1 Like

BPM is pulses per minute, while frequency (measured in Hz) is pulses per second, so to get from the former to the latter, divide by 60.

3 Likes

Ooh, so the clock signal is just the BPM/60?
120 BPM would be a 2 Hz signal, not more?

2 Likes

Exactly. It’s that simple.
120 BPM = 120 beats per minute = 2 beats per second = 2Hz.

3 Likes

Okay, I was excepting it to be faster but well, thanks a lot!

Do you think there is an analog way to double it?

The name for that is clock multiplier.

2 Likes

Mmh okay I will try to see if I could build something like that! Thank you a lot

What clock source are you referring to? MIDI clock pulses are 24 per quarter note, so if the tempo is 120 BPM (quarter notes per minute) then there are 24*120/60 = 48 MIDI clock pulses per second, or 48 Hz. But if you’re tallking about an analog clock circuit that’s running at 120 pulses per minute (one pulse per quarter note), then yes, that’s 2 Hz.

Doubling a clock is hard (halving it is easy).

2 Likes

I don’t know, that’s the point
I plan to make a sequencer that just a clock signal and I don’t if the clock is midi clock or anything else…

For a sequencer you can drive it with an LFO pulse wave, or a dedicated analog clock, or build it with an internal clock. For any of those you wouldn’t need to do any clock multiplying or dividing. Or you could use a MIDI clock signal but you’d want to divide it down to something like quarter or eighth or sixteenth notes; there are MIDI to CV modules that will do that.

2 Likes

Okay that’s exactly what I thought about
Thank you a lot I will work on it have a good day ^^

1 Like