Mail Day Thread

Yep, I’ve built many a multi-rotor over the past 5 years or so. Sadly I don’t get to get out to fly much at all anymore (my wife died 2 years ago and my daughter doesn’t enjoy going out with me and is too young to stay home alone) so that’s all been gathering dust and I’ve turned back to hobbies I can do from home like radio, music and other electronic stuff. Between all of my interests I go through a lot of wire :smiley:

4 Likes

Ahh man im sorry to hear it. If you feel the need to fly again there are FPV sims out there (LiftOff is my fave but there’s others like velocidrone)

Who knows the idea of it being a game/sim might get your daughter playing too (when she’s old enough to play)

3 Likes

I always feel weird tapping the heart on “life posts” like this, but I do it to show appreciation for the willingness to share and as a sort of “I hear you, hang in there” gesture. I hope it comes across that way.

6 Likes

Appreciate it guys, and sorry to swing things off topic. Life is what it is and we just have to make the best with what it gives us sometimes. Not happy about that…but I’ve come to accept it.

And yes, I’ve tried simulators but for some reason can barely get off the ground with them, and my daughter has no interest in them. I did get her a little $15 auto-level tinywhoop sized quad a few years ago and she had some fun with it - but managed to destroy it. So I turned what was left into a tinywhoov hovercraft that she had even more fun with. (In fact, I need to replace the motors on that…she keeps bugging me and I keep forgetting!)

I keep trying to get her more into music but not having a ton of luck…I’m hoping she finds the modular interesting but so far she’s more intimidated by it than curious. She did start band with school this year and picked percussion so she’s learning bells. I’m not sure how well that will go though - good rhythm doesn’t exactly run in my family :smiley: But if she can break the trend it will be nice having a drummer available :wink:

4 Likes

5 Likes

I am so jealous of how quickly you get modules.

4 Likes

One of the few perks of living on this tiny Covid hotspot I guess. Probably 100% of mainland light mail could make it in 36hrs by surface…

Getting a bit sick of some ebay sellers using CV19 as a get out to be lazy posting. I have had no delays in my hundreds of dispatches…

Its a simple module, very utilitarian and my own 2.5cm mixer does a similar job but this is actualy more usefull at 5cm…

3 Likes

I had to make a new model profile for the sim and change some settings to make my TaranisX9D work with lift off.
the TW hovercraft things are on my build list and i still want a plane from flitetest.

See how she gets on with Sams copper tube trigger thing, or ive made a 4 pad teensy4/arduino Rockband midi drum (my first build, very simple) still needs work but i should post that tbh =]

As a single dad I can appreciate how many of my projects were sidelined when kids weren’t interested. Fpv flying was never an option as I live in Scotland where seagulls are tough and angry. But we did do fpv RC car hide and seek indoors. Pet robots were also popular and simple circuits that made what my girls called "cool spy stuff "

4 Likes

My 16yr old wanted me to do lots on HIS projects. But he’s got better these last couple of months and actually bothered ( because I was rebuffing ) learned a bit of Arduino programming for one of his projects.

Still doing his projects though…
An XYZ joystick to motor control for his POND ROV.
A DMX Relay controller ( Almost done with that one! ).

4 Likes

Only went and bought the wrong size cables XD flippin idiot. haha!

1 Like

My mom was a high school English / British Literature teacher. She wrote 2 college art history papers for me when I was having to work 80+ hours a week. Nothing wrong with a little help from your parents :wink:

2 Likes

Received my very first set of panels that I designed from JLCPCB today! I had a lot of help with the Warps one from @d42kn355 but then did the Clouds panel on my own. I’m happy with them for the most part. There’s a few things that I will change for the next set of panels that I make. I’m also super annoyed because I didn’t realize on the Clouds panel that I had forgotten to change one of the jack labels that says “V/OCT” to “BLEND” until after I had submitted the order so now I need to redo these. :sob: I could just put a piece of tape over it but as a perfectionist that just cannot be. :laughing:

16 Likes

Those turned out fantastically!!! :smiley:

Good Job!!! :smiley:

4 Likes

Nice work! Those look very Very nice.

4 Likes

They really look nice! Sign me up for leftovers once you get the fixed Clouds panel :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Heck I’d be happy with one with the typo :smiley:

Have been seriously considering building some of the mutable modules…but haven’t been in a rush because I don’t feel like designing nice panels yet.

@popflier - are you doing through hold boards? Or using the original boards and just jumpering over to the bigger panels? (or are those euro sized panels…hard to tell the scale.) I want to do more SMD but have been hesitant to order boards since I only need 1 not 5 of each.

2 Likes

you know that most likely the other 4 would be had by someone here …

5 Likes

Those look amazing! Pretty damn good especially being your first design

3 Likes

Wow! They look fantastic. Perfectionism has its rewards. Or so I hear.

5 Likes