Mail Day Thread

And the other half of yesterday’s big package

6 Likes

Basically a lot of what Christian said! I’m really enjoying it so far. I think it sounds great, and apparently if you open it up you can fiddle with the filter bias to get it even closer to the darker OG 303 sound, which I’ll probably do. And yeah, the sequencer is pretty nuts, though I think I’m getting my head around it. You don’t get as much sequence memory as I thought you would - you can save plenty of single bar patterns but only 7 longer ‘track’ sequences. This might be faithful to the original 303 but it’s a bit of a shame to keep it that way when it feels easily updatable in this day and age, and with people leaning closer and closer to dawless set ups these days it feels like a bit of a miss.

For £125 I really don’t think you could ask for more synth. It’s the first of the behringer clones I’ve bought and it’s deffo got me think about picking up some others

5 Likes

I know people don’t like behringer based on the Uli’s idiocy… But thats like hating Americans purely based on the Big Don.

Thousands of staff design and create great work under that umbrella. I think it’s time to move on and realise one man is not the sum of his people.

Just wish I could justify the purchase of any of it.

1 Like

Gah I need to order this soon I dont wanna miss out!
Hopefully human procrastination is restocked too.

I need more tasty discs for my wall =D

1 Like

Deffo! I’m also certainly not a synth purist at all - having a £5000 entrance point to buy the kit to make decent techno isn’t the one. I think a lot of the older (though maybe that’s a generalisation) purists who insist that clones are inherently bad have forgotten that the synth market has blown up so much that picking up any decent cheap vintage gear is actually pretty hard. Hell, I’ve seen it in the last few years - I got my S-series akai samplers for a pittance about 5-6 years ago, now people are asking for extortionate amounts for them. And things will just move more and more this way as electronic instruments become more and more popular. The difference between price and value on some bits of kit is ridiculous, and that’s not just the obvious stuff.

My main gripe with behringer is what I’ve heard about their employment practices - Music Tribe have an office where I live and I’ve met a few employees through mates, and they’ve not had great things to say

2 Likes

Not just Uli. Presumably people in marketing and PR signed off on that cork sniffer video.

3 Likes

A lot of the MI modules use these exact same switches and buttons so I ended up having stock. Those aside I think between Tayda and Mouser and then the one SMD part I could only find at Digikey that I was able to get everything for around $40 or $50? I just looked at his site and the parts kit he’s selling seems to be much much higher than what you can source the parts for yourself.

2 Likes

Ah, I just went by the links in his BOM since im lazy lolol.

3 Likes

Not exactly Mail but after buying this on eBay in February it’s finally here! Off to play. I may be some time.

Yamaha YC-25D organ. Wot all the young dudes was playing in 1972. Best to all.

8 Likes

[quote=“Farabide, post:1777, topic:101”]
Yamaha YC-25D organ.[/quote]

I thought it looked a bit fancy for a Bontempi.

Oh, was it Mott the Hoople’s organ on that song?

2 Likes

Mott indeed. And don’t knock a bontempi organ. Some of the most versatile and inventive hacks are to be found amid their fragile plastic souls.

2 Likes

It’s a David Sowerbutts thing. He plays a Bontempi.

(I should probably repost the PowerSolo video but I don’t want it to get too tired.)

1 Like

At last, my first asian “bag” (alas not the Tayda one…):

100x 20mm “Boss like” knobs (will get bigger ones later for the modules warranting them)
10x B100k stereo pots for an output module with stereo panning (still need a solution for attaching the Boss knobs on the knurled shaft…)

4 Likes

That PCB is lovely work

1 Like

More like mail week for me, just waiting on bus cables next.

Some nice bendy silicon wire for pcb to pannel stuff. (Solid core will be on the next order, super handy box)
NE556 and TL084 with 8 and 14 pin sockets.
50 1m ¼ watts and some 100uf caps I think (104)

Should really go finish the vclfo and the diy mikrophonie, too lazy today tho =)

7 Likes

Good old milliohms! …

1 Like

104 caps are 100nF not 100uF.

4 Likes

Not that anyone would ever make that kind of mistake

6 Likes

Nice, I got 2 boxes of the same brand of wire yesterday as well. 24 and 26awg. Love the silicone wire.

Even with 5 boxes of wire in 5 different sizes I still never seem to have just the right gauge when I need it :smiley:

2 Likes

Synth building hasnt been too bad for that (for me [yet]) but building quadcopters was a pain all kinds of sizes needed for the xt60, the flight controller, the esc’s and the motors XD

silicone wires are much nicer to strip, can do it with fingernails mostly lol

2 Likes