Quadra synth ( no not Alesis )

Crazy project number 15, build myself a Quadra, 7 octave keybed, VST editor, compact PC and HDMI 1080p touchscreen, a Roland edirol USB audio card, what can go wrong?

7 Likes

Absolutely nothing could go wrong!

Carthago delenda est

2 Likes

Quadra VST to reality mockup, the tiny HP USFF PC arrived today, a 6 core 8th gen i5 with 16gb ram and an M2 drive for less than 150 quid. Nice and silent and a lot smaller than I expected, it’s vesa mounted so I can screw it to the case for stability. Not mapped the controller yet, but straight forward enough on a new installation. I don’t need a keyboard and mouse as the display is touch control. Strange thing is the Roland/edirol sound card didn’t work for audio output so this is currently the headphone jack of the pc to the mixer. Not ideal.

3 Likes

So cool to see this come together. Can i suggest the addition of some foot controllers, something this grand needs a swell pedal.

1 Like

Actually just been shopping for sockets for foot controllers, I don’t know many spare inputs I have on my mux setup 5*16 inputs, but I would like to add things like VCF cutoff etc for the poly and lead sections.

2 Likes

New USB sound card arrived today, yes on a Sunday, despite the war our postal services run 24/7.

And now it sounds great, got a piece of aluminium for the front panel yesterday and a hand held router, I’m going to make templates for the front panel and have a go at doing it myself. Always a problem cutting slots in material.

2 Likes

Starting the woodwork, not my strong point…

4 Likes

I use rj45 sockets and ethernet cable for fast connection of peripherals. Secure and simple.

1 Like

Stunning! Keep the wood blonde for a quality finish.

Sorry not blonde…

2 Likes

Looking good all the same. Great work.

1 Like

Started the artwork today, not looking forward to the drilling and milling.

4 Likes

Finally got all the holes lined up with the front panel, it’s quite hard working in inches, but I’m old enough to remember them. I also upgraded the display from 0.96" to 1.8" to give it a bit more bling. Need to start labelling all the sliders and buttons so I have a clue what they do.

5 Likes

I love it when a plan comes together, the panel fits the controls, art work is complete and now I just need to fix the controller to the front panel somehow and attach the artwork.

4 Likes

So I got this far after a second attempt at front panels.

4 Likes

Only kinda related but I love what appears to be a quick and easy way to make splits on that synth.

2 Likes

They took me a while to work out, I was doing them in real time so when you pushed the learn button it started the same learn process on the VST, but that became too cumbersome, so I just process the incoming notes on my programmer and as soon as it’s done send them straight to the VST, it allows me to back out easily too.

4 Likes

dam when you take on a project you really go huge . looks great ! . stay safe keep your head down , hopefully we can get our shit together over here and get some more help your way .

2 Likes