Mail Day Thread

Give us a look will ya? :wink:

1 Like

I was expecting it to be yellow… Not sure what I have done wrong.

6 Likes

That’s really weird, shouldn’t the front panel be the same colour as the pcb?

1 Like

The PCB color is yellow solder mask on top of copper, the panel looks like bare FR4 (no fill, no mask, just the silk screen).

(or maybe it is mask on top of raw FR4?)

EDIT: Yeah, I suspect it’s yellow mask on raw FR4; white/black tends to be more opaque, and the yellow one is extra bad.

(Also, some random googling brought up https://docs.oshpark.com/services/afterdark/ which looks like an interesting option for stylish front panels.)

3 Likes

Huh. I thought I specified a copper layer under the mask on the front as well as the back. But looking again at the KiCad file, it’s only on the back. An omission on my part. Not that it’s needed electrically or anything, and it looks okay with the white solder mask. Anyway, just in case it ever matters, I’ll put it in. Sorry about that.

Yeah the OSH Park After Dark sounds interesting, if you’ve got the pockets for it.

5 Likes

No worries, good of you to share your work in the first place., was not sure if I had just done something wrong.

Hopefully my own PCB may turn up tomorrow…

Rob

4 Likes

Just checking… how’s the back of the panel look? There should be a copper layer there (@ChristianBloch soldered to it!) so I’d expect it to be more the expected color.

2 Likes

Yes, it does look correct on the back.

3 Likes

Whenever ya fix it, let us know in your MikroKosmos post please lol
:slight_smile:

*nvm, just went to the thread and seen you already did :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good to know! ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎

1 Like

That OSHPark place is SUPER expensive for KOSMO sized boards…
Not even their Afterdark service - 3 Braids Conversion Panels would be 132 bucks. lol

4 Likes

Got some boards here

and some aluminum

That came from midweststeelsupply.com, which had the lowest prices of any of the US places online or local I investigated… in the case of the 10 by 20 cm panels, literally about a factor of 7 smaller than what couple of other places were charging. (For five pieces. There are only four in the picture for some reason but I did get five. They were all much closer in price for single quantities, but a couple of them didn’t give you any discount for more than one.) Altogether including shipping this cost me about $47. I could only specify to the nearest 1/8" and they quoted tolerances of -0 +1/8". For the 10 cm dimension which is close to 3 15/16" I ordered 3 7/8" figuring I’d rather they were a little narrow than a lot wide. Everything seems to be within about 1/16" of the dimension I ordered, or just slightly over that; I measured one of the small pieces at 99 by 200 mm. I don’t know if the scratching you see is worse than what you should normally expect or not but for now I think I’m okay with the quality here.

3 Likes

well something finally showed up . stuff from the surplus place , not really anything needed to finish the projects . well maybe the fuse blocks for my power supply’s will help me finish those up . the funny thing is this was the most recent thing I ordered .

4 Likes

A cornucopia of chips, some jacks cause you never have enough of those, and some slide pots for fun. (and a fun little 3 digit led)

7 Likes

Older DSO150 shell.

Have some Euroscope (& Expander) PCB/Panel’s on the way.

8 Likes

Music Thing Modular kit cornucopia + some B100Ks from Modular Addict:

7 Likes

wow! :smiley: very cool!!
I wish Thonk had a US warehouse lol, they have a shit ton of cool stuff!

3 Likes

https://modularaddict.com/manufacturer/musicthing
Looks like @ChristianBloch got the last Turing Machine though

5 Likes

Thonk still has them available if you’re willing to pay shipment to the US?
https://www.thonk.co.uk/product-category/_turing/

2 Likes

i didnt even realize logan carried Thonks kits lol.

The guy who runs MA is Low-Gain Electronics.
:smiley:
He’s a couple hours south of me, never met him tho.
I want to go to MA’s store front so badly, but that is not a place you go when you’re broke hahaha

3 Likes