Mail Day Thread

JBL Control One speakers bought on eBay.

I already have a pair next to my screen, which have survived years being slugged by the ShedSynth.
So these are two more for experimenting with.

1 Like

I’m really shocked some Shenzen company hasn’t discovered Eurorack and just taken over AliExpress selling $10 module clones.

3 Likes

Shhhhh. They might hear you.

3 Likes

though it would be funny a company out there ripping off behringer designs and selling them cheaper .

5 Likes

Forgot that I got this the other day – a late birthday gift from my wife.

8 Likes

Great bit of reading! Also nice to park your bike up against when not reading.

1 Like

Yeah, it is a monolith of a book, to be sure.

IMHO The best electronics book series ever.

Admittedly Iam refering to 2nd Edition, but cant imagine this edition would be any less wonderful!

1 Like

Some boards for @BenRufenacht ’s Quantizer arrived

If anyone in Oz wants one, let me know.

5 Likes

This is a nice double quantiser but … I build one a year or so ago. My board is called Rev 1.1. It had a problem with one of the trigger inputs. Inserting a jack would short the 12V to GND for a moment. The 12V was meant to be just a signal but given that there was no resistor in series with it the full power of the 12V supply could be connected to GND for a short moment when plugging in a jack plug. I only noticed this because I saw other digital modules in my case reset and restart when plugging in a jack ! When I contacted Kassutronics I found out that they knew about this but were still sending out the same flawed boards in their kits because they still had some left … Given that boards are cheap to get fabricated, I found this more than annoying.

So, check yours for this problem !

Thanks for the heads up. My boards were made well before this recent change. There are instructions on how to fix it in the most recent build docs for v1.1…

…so I wondered why I never had this issue. Turns out, I never connected the 12v to the tip normal on my PCB, so my PCBs will not have this issue thanks to my mistake. Also, free running mode won’t work. I have never used this, so I may have never notices. Anyone with my boards can fix this by connecting the TN of each trigger jack to +12v through a 10k resistor. I am going to go update some pcb files now…

Update: Files up on GitHub now have the tip normal of the input triggers connected to 12v through a 10k resistor.

3 Likes

Two PCBs with Moritz Klein & René Schmitz designs I made for practice and my own use. They’re just for improving my skills for my own future designs, so no plans to distribute files since they reproduce commercially available designs.

The Diode Ladder filter. This one has no PCB faceplate. Clearances as indicated on the silkscreen are a bit wonky, electrolytics and power header are best mounted on the back.

I have built one but have yet to get it to work, it will go in another thread once it works.

This one pipes René Schmitz’ Fastest Envelope in the West to the Moritz Klein Transistor VCA (via the jack’s normal connection).
I’m also trying out some cursed DIP + SMD footprints for the chips, given how SMD chips are often 1/3 the price and i need to practice soldering those.

As it’s symmetrical, i made 2 faceplate designs on both sides, but on the back side, i forgot to flip the numbers 1 and 2, welp. Oh well, at least one side is fine. For whatever reason jlc sent me 10 faceplates instead of the 5 i ordered, even though none of them look visually flawed by the standards of quality i expect of their budget service.
This will be my 1st module with a legit faceplate!

Tails plushie for scale.

7 Likes

looking forward to some building , always a pleasure to build analog outputs modules .

6 Likes

Got a little eBay find delivered today! Two HP 7218A power supplies. On the top one, the case wasnt seated right, so I opened it up (because of course I did). Found that the bezel, which inserts from the front and clips onto the gauge, is broken, and the gauge was held in with gobs of hot glue. I removed the glue and am in the process of figuring out a more acceptable solution. In the meantime I can probably wedge it in place.

ETA: I’m going to need to read the manual and/or troubleshoot them both because neither is producing the expected voltage. Project for this weekend, I guess.

8 Likes

I went to the post office to collect a few parcels with components, and picked up a bass guitar on my way back :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

You know it’s amazing just how often that happens! I used to keep a canvas ‘guitar wrap’ in my work bag in case i spotted any strays on my way home.
Do you play Bass? I have almost finished prepping one of my basses to take a Roland GK quad pickup. Adding a simple guitar to midi circuit (mono only) is also fun.

2 Likes

I haven’t played for years since I moved countries quite a few times and had to part with my equipment in the process. I was looking to buy one locally and turned out there was a guy around the corner from my office who wasn’t playing his much and put it for sale. Now I need to put together a pre-amplifier for it!

3 Likes

Pre-amps are a useful build. I cheat and use cheap behringer di boxes though :wink:

1 Like

Got myself a belated birthday present.

14 Likes

Curious how things are going with this!