Mail Day Thread

wow… He definitely cut them wrong!!!
See - I thought you mean the rails were 2mm LONGER/TALLER - (or 1.53mm - then it woulda been Pulp Logic - and a simple mistake) - but dude literally made them completely off -_-

Definitely contact him…

1 Like

Here is my problem. You have great new PCBs all the time, and you often sell some of them. BUT you’re in the States and I’m in Germany. So I decided that you would all just move to Europe. How does my suggestion sound to you? Good solution or not? :eyes:

4 Likes

How about if my Gerber files move to Europe?

3 Likes

good idea !
and have bought a small village and have all lived in it, and sometimes we connect all our modules together to make a giant patch !!!

:grin: :rofl:

btw it is true that some PCB which pass attract me !

3 Likes

Not mail, but I got this CNC as a present from a friend. He found it in the trash and he already made his own cnc from scratch, so I could have this! Now I need to learn how to complete it (It’s got motors, but no drivers and no drill) and how to use it xD
I think that some people here might have some suggestions for me, so I will make a thread and ask for help :slight_smile:

5 Likes

A CNC has been on my waiting list for ages… :slight_smile:

Check out the MPCNC documentation at v1engineering.com - it has lots of specific stuff for the MPCNC, but a lot of useful info about milling.
Ideas:

• Front panels a la @nervous_squirrel
  • PCB milling - Flatcam?
  • Front panel art with a Sharpie

For a control board I think an Arduino Mega with Ramps would be sufficient.
For the spindle try searching for a Genmitsu motor with an er-11 collet. V1 have lots of info on this.
Just chucking ideas into the void :smiley:

3 Likes

I will make a video on panel making one day - it’s been on my to do list for ages though!

5 Likes

Nice!! I have a very similar old Xenetech - it was a metal engraver with a flat mill bed. - have no room to try to set it up though unfortunately… lol
Would be great for making panels and boards… lol

4 Likes

I have been trying to permanently move to Europe for years so I would happily make the move if someone could give me a work visa in an EU country (sorry Britain.) Get me out of the states PLEASE!!! @Dud my French language skills have all been forgotten (I only speak English and Italian now) but I will live in your village!! :wink:

4 Likes

Would a dremmel fit into the holder?

Huh… so how do the Intellijel specs compare to standard 1U subrack panels? Is it actually their “standard”, or just the confusion that 1U subrack is not the same height as 1U? I’m about to design/build a case, and wasn’t even going to check this, I was just going to use the subrack standard :scream:

The standard math is (N x 44.45)-3.9

Which basically means that however many U the faceplate is tall, that it’s 3.9mm less than the U measurement to factor the 0.8mm U gap and the flanges on the subrack rails.

FYI the math for the hole centres is (N x 44.45)-10.85, and clearance between the rails (ie your PCB should be smaller than this) is (N x 44.45)-21.35.

I’m just going to look for modules that are 4hp or smaller, and then CNC machine new horizontal faceplates for them :crazy_face:

1 Like

Long story short: Pulp Logic/Erthenvar 1U tiles use the full 1U of vertical space, but only work with Vector rails. Intellijel 1U modules use slightly less than 1U of vertical space, but work with all rails, including those with lips. (Intellijel 1U Info Thread - MOD WIGGLER)

(1U Technical Specifications - intellijel)

(1U Tiles – Pulp Logic)

Dimensions are in inches in the latter diagram. 1.70" = 43.2 mm.

Neither is the same as subrack, which would be 40.55 mm per the formula you give. (Nor is Eurorack, which is 128.5 mm, not 129.45.)

4 Likes

thats alotta words… lol

Intellijel specs are weird but neat.

I think Pulp Logic is nice because a touch bigger and closer to correct…

1 Like

Intellijel’s follow subrack standards… pulp has just made them up without understanding how the numbers work…

i have no idea what a subrack is… so :smiley:

1 Like

The hole pitch is the same as subrack standards for both Eurorack and Intellijel. The ~0.5-0.8mm difference in faceplate height is not deviation, but is within the standard, which allows for -0.8mm. Basically if you don’t make your faceplate smaller than the standards it will jam into the rails, you need some tolerances to fit stuff into the rack.

Okay, I feel happier now, as Intellijel are following standards.

Long story short, subrack standards are part of the 19” rack standards and come from telecoms and instrumentation industries. They date back to the 60’s and are very well defined standards with lots of manufacturers and modular components.

In the 90’s Doepfer decided to use these standard components and dimensions (stuff was readily available - why reinvent the wheel?!), and that became the basis of Eurorack. In spite of some rhetoric you see and read, this isn’t new, it’s quite old and very well defined.

Intellijel are following the standards, but pulp clearly don’t understand them or don’t know much about them and misinterpreted what 1U actually is.

Even Veroboard aka strip board only comes in eurocard dimensions, which are the shape and size of PCBs that fit subracks.

2 Likes

very interesting - thanks for the write up :slight_smile:

1 Like

At the very least, you got some new rails if its a bust machine ;D
Look at that bed =P

I don’t find it particularly interesting or useful whether or not synthesizer format X conforms to telecom standard Y. It might have some impact for some manufacturers of synth systems. For users, less so. For DIY builders, even less. Yeah, if you want to mount some stuff in a 19" rack, some design choices are going to work better than others… but there’s almost always a DIY solution, even if it’s drilling new holes. Kosmo isn’t subrack, and I don’t care that it isn’t.

3 Likes