Lightbulb compressor module? Would love some help

Hey folks. I am fascinated by using components the wrong way to achieve nefarious ends (as I’m sure the rest of you are), and I am really keen on getting a lightbulb compressor module to work.

I’m not an engineer (I don’t have a degree at all, really - I’m just a grease monkey) - and I have done a lot of research and tried to work it out on my own, but I think I might make more progress if I open up a little bit and ask for some help.

So, what I am thinking about doing is using a 12V incandescent bulb to build a compressor/limiter type of module, with a gain pot to control the input gain and a volume pot to control the volume level after the bulb.

As far as my extremely limited knowledge goes, if the voltage going into the module’s audio input is 2-3V, I would need something to boost that voltage, correct? And then something to bring it back down afterwards? Or, would it be more prudent to go for a 6V bulb?

I am aware that there are easier and simpler ways to make this kind of module - that’s not the point, though! I want to see if I can get this to work.

1 Like

Have you seen Sam’s video on lightbulbs? I can’t find it atm but it’s there somewhere.

2 Likes

“It’s science, okay?”

(For the general case, you need a suitable bulb, an amp powerful to light it up, a load on the other side, and an attenuator to bring the output level down to a suitable signal level. Or you can just put the bulb between your amp and your speaker, like Sam does in that video.)

4 Likes

Also, about that using things the wrong way bit…

1 Like

This video is actually what got me on this kick in the first place. So, if I built a simple VCA and had the output going into the bulb, and the other lead from the bulb connected to an output - would that work?

Doubtful, the light bulb has very low resistance and the VCA probably could not drive it. You’d need more power to light it up than a typical synth op amp could supply. A 10 watt 12 V bulb would draw 800 mA fully on and you’d be lucky to get a small fraction of that. A guitar amp is designed to drive a low resistance load (the speaker) which is why it makes more sense to put a bulb there.

New video from Synth Diy Guy, new module, not much information available yet — might be relevant!

1 Like