KOSMO version of MI Grids?

Check this out:

Guidelines for derivative works

Mutable Instruments is a registered trademark.

The name “Mutable Instruments” should not be used on any of the derivative works you create from these files.

We do not recommend you to keep the original name of the Mutable Instruments module for your derivative works.

For example, your 5U adaptation of Mutable Instruments Clouds can be called “Foobar Modular - Particle Generator”.

Cheers

1 Like

I tried this, but as @jaradical said, I think I should not use the name “Mutable Instruments”, right?

1 Like

I suspect the intention was for that prohibition to apply to commercial products, wanting not to have people think they’re buying an MI product. I doubt if they care about your five Kosmo boards.

But yes, if you want to go strictly by the letter of the guidelines, leave their name off.

1 Like

Music Thing similarly:

However, if you are creating new products based on my open source designs, please do not use the brand ‘Music Thing Modular’ or the module names I’ve used for commercial versions.

Which is why my Kosmo adaptation of Mikrophonie says “Mikrokosmos” and “Analog Output” on it. Here that rule was (explicitly) intended for commercial adaptations, but I followed it anyway.

Yes, that’s also why I named the grids “lattice”, which is similar to a grid I think (maybe not, I am no native English speaker :wink: ) But you are right, they won’t care about my boards. But if I publish it on github, I would rather have it “right” :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess there’s nothing in the guidelines saying you can’t put “Emelie Gillet” on the panel…

This looks great. The next two modules I want to convert to Kosmo are Skull & Circuits Can I Kick It and Metal-O-Tron. This would be a great driver for those.

3 Likes

It’s on github now, but as I said, NOT TESTED and I will make some other stuff first before I order :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I assembled the board and first thing I noticed: All pots are reverse :sob: That happens if you start from an existing github project and don’t check the footprints. Fortunately all pots are on a separate smaller pcb, so I can easily make a new board (can not just swap 5V and GND, because There are also summing opamps on that board).
But I have another issue which I do not really understand. The module works mostly fine, but sometimes (usually right after powering on) the output LEDs do not light up, or do light up in a strange way. They are not directly connected to the trigger outs, but separate outputs from the Nano (this is done so that they can be used as a “display” for configuration mode). They are on the same board as the nano and I have resoldered the few involved joints. Sometimes they also act crazy when I turn some of the knobs. Then at other times the whole knob processing kind of locked, that means, no turning of knobs does any change to the rhythm. I measured and there is still 5V at the knob board. So maybe a software problem? I just downloaded the hex file from quinie.nl which is using the same circuit. I don’t see how that could be the issue, however… But maybe I will compile the code myself and add some debugging outputs. Or just some code to check if all the input and outputs work.
If you have any more ideas of what could be the issue, please tell me, because I am a bit at a loss :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am experimenting a bit with fuses, but I think that can not be the issue here. I am also ruling out the bootloader, because if that was the problem it would never work right?

1 Like

Okay, I found the issue!! Nothing to do with Arduino, I was mislead by the fact that it worked for a second after powering on and then it stopped and it did so every time, so I ruled out the hardware pretty early!
But then I tested the Arduino alone on a breadboard, just connected a few LEDs to see if it worked and it did work very well!! So, back to the pcb: I have a smaller controll board with all the potentiometers, the button and the opamps that do the summing of CV inputs and pots and when I left that out, it worked! (It was a bit harder to see, because the clock led is also on that board, so I had to connect a single LED to some pins). Then it was obvious what to do, just connect the pin headers with cables instead and see when it all goes bad! Turned out it was the tap tempo/reset button!
I had an idea and checked the schematic, pcb and datasheet again and there it was: The footprint was wrong (I did it, so my fault :wink: ), now it’s always closed :laughing:
I feel so stupid and at the same time very relieved, because I finally found the issue! (And I need to re-do the control board in any case, because all the pots are the wrong way :see_no_evil: )

5 Likes

It is now working really well and I updated the GitHub with the fixed ctrl pcb! I have three sets to sell if anyone is interested (Europe/Germany) :slight_smile:

5 Likes