Kosmo Specification

The best way to source panels seems to depend very much on where you are; see e.g. this thread for some options:

(there’s a few more, a search for “panels” will bring up most of them)

7 Likes

Sam, did you ever have a chance to upload a kiCad panel file somewhere? I’m just curious. I may be looking in the wrong place? I’d love to use it as reference if possible.

1 Like

I just finished the templates for 1U, 2U and 4U panels, and also some symbols. Just waiting for @analogoutput to accept my PR!

4 Likes

Let’s not call them 1U, 2U, and 4U. It’s jargony and confusing and adds nothing. “U” has a commonly understood meaning of 1.75". What’s wrong with 25, 50, and 100 mm?

10 Likes

Nothing wrong in particular, just thought it was nicer/simpler with “U”. But yeah, I didn’t think about the 1.75" standard.
So are you doing the changes or am I doing it?

2 Likes

I will second that thought , just use metrics [ numbers ] much less confusing for those that don’t know off hand what a U is . Kosmo is a standard 20 cm tall and the widths seem to very with everyone’s builds . I have built a lot of MFOS modules and use Ray’s face plate art work and to scale it up to 20 cm tall the widths end up all over the place which is one reason I used wood rails .

6 Likes

This should be ok now

2 Likes

Is there a standard length for the standoffs used? I need to get some for my oscillator and realized I dont really have a standard length to go by.

1 Like

I think it’s slightly different between the VCO standoff and what would be used on a multi board connected by pin headers. If you went for 12mm nylon ones you could easily sand to suit.

1 Like

Has anybody built any stereo Kosmo modules?

Other than big knobs and big cables - big knobs are more fun :wink: - one of the advantages is that we can use stereo plugs.

I’d love to build a CV panner/mixer, but have a single stereo output. Anybody explore this yet?

4 Likes

VC Crossfader VCA -
Had to re-work the control board - should be ordering the replacements on the 21st.

5 Likes

I picked up one of these recently (PCB only):

I plan to build it with separate mono jacks for left and right output, since that’s what my mixer takes. But it’ll have a stereo headphone jack.

(You can use stereo jacks/plugs in a Eurorack module too, of course.)

4 Likes

Mine is based on Fonitroniks version!

3 Likes

I was getting that mixed up with the Barton Stereo Outputs! The Fonitroniks VC Fader isn’t stereo.

4 Likes

ah youre right - i WAS going to try to set it up for stereo - i am mixing that up with the mixer i made for my rollz lol

5 Likes

We’re just all mixed up here. About mixers.

6 Likes

Maximum depth of the modules available from the LMNC store is slightly over 25 mm

Is that all? This isn’t 25cm?

I’m about to build my first case, but I’ve only got a few offcuts on hand, giving me a max depth of about 25cm. I ordered a few LMNC boards but they haven’t arrived yet, so I can’t actually see if they’ll hang out the back or not.

How deep are you guys building your cases?

EDIT: Okay, I’m looking in the mail day thread and there’s no way those are 25cm wide!

Still curious how deep your cases are!

EDIT EDIT: Okay I took this screen grab from one of the LMNC videos

THIS IS SPEC NOW

4 Likes

Mine is 20cm deep.

8 Likes

Yes, 25 mm. That’s about how deep the jacks are and the LMNC modules have PCBs parallel to the front panel, with the jacks being the deepest thing.

But I have self-made modules with perpendicular PCBs that go a lot deeper than that. My first case’s top row is about 75 mm deep and that’s not enough for some of my modules. My second case will accommodate modules up to about 160 mm deep except near the power supply mounted near the back.

4 Likes

Mine are 20cm as well. I like the depth for stability when stacked and for flexibility. I may make a lower profile one at some point, but it’s nice to not worry about depth of stripboards or anything.

3 Likes