Korg Volca FM Impressions after a week

After a week with the Korg Volca FM I have to say that I don’t really like it. It’s a great device, no question about it, but not what I was looking for. If only I had listened to my gut instinct and taken the Korg NTS-1.But the Volca was also much cheaper, including a power supply…
FM synthesis is a completely new world again and I don’t really understand it, I might just have to deal with it a little longer. Which analog polyphonic synth is the cheapest, does anyone know?

Does it have to be purely analog?
Does it have to be poly?

FM is a lot to learn, and has a unique sound to it.

If you wanted, you could stay in Korg Volca territory and use their poly analog offering: Volca keys. It has 3 voice poly and is priced like a volca is.

2 Likes

No, it doesn’t necessarily have to be pure analog, but polyphonic. The Volca Keys is 3-part paraphonic. I have that too, by the way. It’s great too, but somehow it always sounds the same. Or maybe it’s up to me, I’ve now spent almost 1 year with only MicroBrute and Volca Keys. My modular is currently being pushed into the background, so I first have to create a well-functioning basis. However, it is precisely these modulation options that could bring a breath of fresh air. Maybe, as I said, I just have to invest a little more time to internalize the FM synthesis.