Introductions: Say hello, tell us about yourself and your projects

Welcome! Be sure to keep us posted on updates and feel free to share photos! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome Hagiwo.

Some of your “strange” choices makes much more sense now that we know your motivations.
Your Generative Seq is definitely on my list, and probably the Clock Mult/Div as it is the simplest I saw until now…
(I can’t play any instrument :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

Welcome, you may want to take a look at the Teensy + Audio thread,

4 Likes

Hello @HAGIWO , happy to see you here :slightly_smiling_face:
welcome to the forum !

3 Likes

Welcome @HAGIWO! Thanks for sharing your work. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome!

In my mind it’s the opposite… the contortions needed to provide a virtual ground and shift incoming AC signals make single supply designs more complicated, not less.

And in modulating pitch, ±5 V control voltages are useful, but you need a negative rail (or some fancy conversion) to provide them.

However, if you want to operate off a battery, no further justification of no -12 V is needed!

Only badly designed ones!

3 Likes

@HAGIWO Do you know AE Modular from Tangible Waves ?
That looks a much better format than Eurorack for your concept.

• Runs on 5V only. Either a wallwart or a guitar pedal battery (take care of polarity !)
  • Small, portable.
  • The cheapest patch cord you can image (Dupont cables…)
  • Standard width is 50mm (that’s 10HP…), but height is 100mm (Eurorack is 128.5mm), not much bigger than yours, and somewhat more limited in depth if you want to use the official cases.

Homepage:

Forum for DIY:

Technical information:

2 Likes

I’ve been playing around with my Keystep Pro, which arrived yesterday. Here is my first track ever (just the first part of Nightcall from Kavinsky, but without the vocals). Next I will try to make the vocals using a demo version of Arturia’s Vocoder-V software.

Arpeggio: XVA1
Bass: Hydrasynth
Sub-Bass: Kosmo
Drums: PO-32

2 Likes

also unfortunate for the business partner.

Hahahaha! :joy:

Welcome! I love your channel, have been a fan since the beginning!

2 Likes

Dope. Nightcall! Sounds so close at first i thought you were just playing on top of the track. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey lovely people,

Turning knobs, pushing buttons and fiddling with sliders is something I really like to do - even when it’s seemingly only me who enjoys the wall of noise that produces. I just recently really got into modular synths, but it’s a wonderful way to waste time. And money. :slight_smile:
At some point in the future I’d like to design and solder my own modules, nothing fancy, but for now I am sticking to DIY kits and ready-made stuff.

With that said, I am rather uneducated when it comes to electronics; it’s going to be quite the learning curve, but it’s also quite rewarding!

Looking forward to chat with like-minded people. :smiley:

9 Likes

It’s not a waste of money :wink:

My electronic design skills are ancient, but if you take some of Sams schematics and break them down you will find many common elements… tie them up with datasheets and a raft of projects on the internet and you find an endless source of module ideas…

Most of us produce noise ( many complaints :wink: ) … but everynow and then a noise becomes a useful sound… Its at that point you need your camera…

Welcome

5 Likes

Thanks! Nah, I agree - it gives me joy and something to do while sitting around at home. Thanks for the tips - first step will be to produce a module that does something without blowing up. (had one DIY module blow up due to printing errors on the PCB. Which reminds me - one should always read the manufacturers BOM and building notes before assembly :wink: )

Yeah, and I promise that I’ll whip out a camera and upload a video as soon as I produce something new and cool - maybe don’t hold your breath, though :smiley:

Cheers

4 Likes

Welcome in the forum, i think you are in the good place to find a lot of module schematic or stripboard :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Always! Mistakes happen, and mistakes on the PCB are hard to correct! And I am no fan of exploding caps and burning chips.

Welcome!

3 Likes

Hey welcome. I’ve really enjoyed the forum and the people on it. I wanted to share my latest version of my “Kosmo mini” if I can say that. I had the panels which are 6.5" x 3" and used small jacks. But everything else is Kosmo style. The board hanging out in the empty slot is a midmuso c12 and the digit thing on the right is the 99 dsp effects thing stuck into a panel with dry and left and right wet outs.

13 Likes

Kosmo jr. looking good !

3 Likes

Hello!

I’ve been lurking on here for a bit, this is my first post. Many years ago, I can remember browsing the MFOS website and deciding that I was going to build a modular synth. The best laid plans of mice and men, and family etc, etc, meant I never quite got round to it. A few weeks back though, I found myself watching YouTube videos of a middle aged man soldering up eurorack modules. It reminded me of my plan, so I’ve decided to do something about it.

It’s been a long time since I soldered anything more complex than a BritNerf MOSFET board, and even longer since I mucked about with breadboard. So I’ve decided to build a MFOS WSG as a first step, then add some of the mods, and maybe some of the looney stuff too. I’m going to start with breadboard, then move onto that prototype board stuff that looks like breadboard, with a Kosmo sized faceplate.

If I find I actually like making squelching noises, then who knows what I’ll build after that.

Cheers,

Boab.

9 Likes

@fatboab welcome in the forum :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m Damon. Totally new here. I’ve only been doing modular for a years now, but I already have three albums out and compose the music for all my YouTube adventures as a fisherman and fishing tackle maker.

I’ve been using the AE Modular format. It’s a nice synth, but the modules are on 10cm high. Yup! Half the size of Kosmo. I have several modules stuck in transit as the United States Postal Service is experiencing massive difficulties. In that same time I could have built a whole new synth.

At any rate Here are a couple videos where I use the music composed on my AE Modular.

I hope to build a better performance version of my four row AE in Kosmo format over the next year. As a music performance major, the tiny 10 cm panel are smaller the Eurorack, and the pinwire input are hard on my eyes.

7 Likes