Introductions: Say hello, tell us about yourself and your projects

Agreed! there’s a little bunch of us 3D printing/synth nerds about who’ll appreciate it =) Welcome to the forum.

damn dude i wish i had thought of that =) a simple case rather than the “quad” format angled case i designed… ive never really done wood work before.
this would have made testing life better =P
Welcome to the forum

8 Likes

hi im zumdar!

a synthesizer musician and techno artist specializing in taking old things and making weird new things out of them.
im working on a public art interactive synthesizer // lighting installation right now and am real excited about it. its going to be all open source info and im documenting it well so that it can be a resource for anyone! ive been a touring musician for many years and from that transitioned into making stage designs and art installations. now im going back to school to try to learn more about why i am doing the things that i am doing. aka im studying electrical engineering and all the other students are 10 years younger then me. but its fun!

i hope to nerd out with yall

14 Likes

Sounds like your in the right place :wink:

2 Likes

Hello, I’m Cameron. I’ve spent most of my life collecting and learning new instruments. I’ve got digeridoos, melodicas, pianos, bagpipes and all kinds of fun stuff. Collect vinyl and wax cylinders and tapes and all that too. Basically, all my hobbies are just different music-related avenues. I got into synths a couple of years ago and have been going crazy over them lately. Ended up amassing a Minilogue XD, Deepmind 12, microfreak and Korg SV-1. The natural progression for me seemed to be to start building stuff now. Figured it would save me money too since I could spend months building modules piece by piece instead of dropping a grand on a new keyboard in an evening. Looking forward to learning a lot. Already started building. Put together the VCO, Filter and mixer and have now started venturing into stripboard stuff. Man is it all confusing but man is it also fun.

13 Likes

welcome, it may not be as cheap as you think, but it’s more rewarding in many ways.

Rob

3 Likes

Welcome! First of all, your work looks really good.
I’m also one of the Euroracklers :slight_smile: BUT I have to tell you, my next rack will DEFINITELY be KOSMO format. It is sometimes really difficult to get everything under such a small panel and you also have to use small potentiometer caps and I love BIG Knobs :). But these are just my personal experiences that I just wanted to share with you while your rack is still a prototype.

I wish you a good time here with us and of course all the other new KOSMONAUTS too!

5 Likes

What he said, I built about a dozen Eurorack modules and I have a couple more I intend to build sometime. And back in February I was thinking “I can see the appeal of Kosmo, but I’m invested in Eurorack.” But on further thought I changed my mind and since Spring mostly I’ve built Kosmo. And it’s taking up a lot more space of which I don’t have that much, but I like it a lot better anyway. No more of the crowded and cramped controls for me, and I happen to think it’s nicer to look at too.

5 Likes

I build kosmo format but with 3.5 mm jacks . kind of a pain sometimes converting pcb’s that are made for 1/4 " jacks but in the end it plays easier with the euro rack modules I do have . jacks and cables are cheaper to , though not as robust and break easier if you are not careful .

4 Likes

Cool, I might just do that!
Also, hi to those who joined in the meantime. Hybrid Kosmo/euro sounds pretty cool :slight_smile: The size of Eurorack knobs makes me wish for a Kosmo system sometimes.

4 Likes

Hi, i’m Plop
I’m french (omelette du fromage)
I use to organise party in europe but mostly in France with Trancelucide. I was mainly doing decorations but also some circus show.
I always love electricity for the greatest misfortune of my parents when I was little I tended to try to put everything in the electrical outlets but i stop because now my fingers dont fit the outlet’s holes :confused:
I have a bachelor’s degree in gardening and I’ve been trying to do a bachelor’s degree in electronics, but I’ve quit for traveling.
I live in a truck, I don’t have a lot of space so I opted for the eurorack format. (sorry Sam)

So that’s it, I spent most of my time around music and electronics, so it’s natural that I turned to modular synthesizers :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Welcome @Plop!
Interesting background. Would love to see pictures of your van. I know @Dud would be interested as his rig will soon have to move to a truck :slight_smile:
Scotsman (Omlette du fromage avec Haggis)

2 Likes

That’s how I intend to do it, the 3.5mm jacks hold up very well with a small drop of threadlocker here in Germany. The most famous “Loctite” is available in different degrees of hardness, I take it medium strength, you get it off again. I often had problems with the nuts made in China not holding properly, so that’s no longer a problem. Mine cost about € 4.
https://www.amazon.de/Loctite-243-10ml-Schraubensicherung-mittelfest/dp/B000ZHL8AE

2 Likes

Just go with bigger outlets.
Your fingers will fit in this one for sure :slight_smile:
https://www.directindustry.fr/prod/gothe-co/product-68858-566256.html
Once…

4 Likes

Reminds me, I caught a Haggis last week…

1 Like

Out of season!!!

Today I learned that a badly translated French phrase was featured in an episode of an American children’s animated TV show and has become an in-joke among francophones.

In the french version of Pulp Fiction, we got :
“It’s not a motorcycle, baby. It’s a chopper”
translated to :
“Ce n’est pas une moto , bébé - c’est un hélicoptère”…

5 Likes

What about the Royale with cheese?

1 Like

:slight_smile: Does not even need translating back…

Hello, this is Hagiwo.
I never knew there was such a great community.
This is a very cozy place for me.

I am an engineer from Japan.
Unfortunately, I was assigned the job of software auditing, even though I had no coding experience. It’s also unfortunate for the business partner.
I needed to study programming and started making my own digitally controlled modular synths.
I bought an arduino introductory book from amazon in October 2020 and am studying control little by little every day.

My youtube channel introduces some works.
https://youtube.com/channel/UCxErrnnVNEAAXPZvQFwobQw

The design concept is
Must be digitally controlled.
It is cheap and has a small number of parts.
It works only at 12V. (Works with the existing eurorack standard)
It works only at 5V. (I want to make a system that runs on a mobile battery)
Do not use -12V. (Negative voltage makes the circuit difficult to understand and, in the worst case, destroys other expensive modules.)
Must be 6 HP. (I think limits are the source of creativity)
That I can learn new things.

My project, which comes from that concept, may seem like a detour to you.

16 Likes