Introductions: Say hello, tell us about yourself and your projects

Yes, I’m learning arduino programming/circuits so I can have 4 buttons that will each play a line from the movie that is spoken through the translator. The arduino and the circuits are going to be easy but mounting the switches in the pipe I’m using for the hand will require some creativity. I’m building the thing out of the most durable, heavy stuff I can (iron pipe, mild steel rod, turned wood, modified bolts, and the centerpiece will be 3D printed to give me a place to house the arduino, battery, speaker, and so I can build in connection points for mounting everything). Cause when you pick it up, I want it to FEEL real. More details in the thread I linked.

2 Likes

Very cool. You mention that there might be a knob at the end of the shaft. For some reason I remember that being kind of like the knurl on the handle of a baseball bat from “the making of” hype now, what 37 years ago? I think there are a few of us Dune enthusiasts here, including one who just goes by @Fremen!

1 Like

Yeah Dune is a great movie. I fondly remember the soundtrack. Brian Eno’s music as well as Toto’s epic opening theme really stuck with me…
I like the books and the games too. I’m replaying Dune again. This time I want to green the entire planet.

2 Likes

There is a making of video? I’ve gotta find that!

2 Likes

If it’s out there it’s probably a crappy VHS rip-or on a special edition of a Blu-ray or something. In the meantime, this is awesome:

If you like Francesca Annis, trust me-you’re going to want to watch every frame.

2 Likes

I read the books and thought it was a great movie. to bad he didn’t have the fx of today to work with . Sean Young :+1:

2 Likes

isn’t this supposed to be the introductions page ?

3 Likes

The downside of threaded conversations, amirite?

2 Likes

not that I mind the conversation or think we need thread police . it just makes it harder to find what is supposed to be under this title . we are adding new people almost every day now :+1: . it would be nice to see them and say hello . and yes I am guilty of going off to .

1 Like

Yes, let’s stay in touch. I don’t have any of my music online right now. Some of it I’m not allowed to post yet and some tracks are just not finished. I’m trying to take a new direction in sound, which is why I’ve been here learning and trying to build a modular system these last 6 months. I’m a bit of a perfectionist (okay a LOT of a perfectionist) so everything takes 1000x longer to do.

If you have some music online somewhere you should post it in the Music Share thread. :slight_smile: I’d love to hear it!

4 Likes

I always liked to go look at the church in Iceland when I can get out there. Not heard the organ there, but like it that you can push the organist around!

7 Likes

Hello everyone,

I’m a long-time lurker, very infrequent poster! I’m 25 and have been into music production since my teens, but only very casually. I got into the more techy side of it all during my final year of undergraduate studies in Cognitive Neuroscience when I realised that a lot of the theory across neuroimaging is similar to the way music equipment works -I guess you’d call it all signal processing! Fast forward a few years and I’m now doing a PhD looking at conceptual memory and language breakdown in Alzheimer’s disease using fMRI and EEG. My eventual endgame is to combine these two interests and make a module that would allow you to use an EEG electrode as a CV input!

In the mean time, I’m just working my way up to building a decent monosynth style set up

10 Likes

Lovely church! Reminds me somewhat of Gaudi’s sagrada familia in Barcelona. Maybe it’s just my imagination…

3 Likes

Seems really doable! And supercool…

Have you seen the guy that uses his prothese as a cv input? Seems quite similar in concept… (as little as I know about it.)

4 Likes

I have! He does a good job of it. The idea is similar but there’s a few things that make using brain activity a bit trickier than muscle activity - mainly just that isolating ‘meaningful’ brain activity from all the noise is so difficult! And to do this, there’s a degree of computational power needed that I’m not sure you could do with the common programmable microprocessors, and getting a laptop out to run it would cross the LMNC ethos completely!

I think it makes a nice project to work towards with all this though, as it kind of spans all the different domains of DIY synth stuff, it has some analog stuff, some digital processing, thinking about interface design etc. If I eventually manage it, I’m sure you guys will be the first to hear about it

9 Likes

hi Trumac22 welcome to the Kosmos , the non conventional interfaces sound like fun and potently very useful outside of the music realm . seems we have an interesting group of people but dam you guys , programmers , PHD’s , rocket surgeons and me just a carpenter , well I can build a nice case in no time . now I just need to figure out how to make all the modules work thats been a bit frustrating lol .

6 Likes

Indeed welcome in to modular mayhem :wink:

2 Likes

I better not show you my case! I don’t think there’s a single straight line on it, it’s a shambles.

Thanks for the welcomes all!

5 Likes

Greetings all! I have been watching Sam for a year or so now and have decided to take the plunge in making my own beeps and boops. I have no real musical knowledge as my background is more in games - but I love music and modular is incredibly fascinating. I am slowly scraping together all of the various bits needed to get started. I am also a streamer and 3d printing enthusiast as well.

Feel free to drop by my website http://mjsm.net

6 Likes

welcome here @zorch :slight_smile:

1 Like