How’s everybody holding up?

We’re all waiting for your next post. I hope you and yours are all safe and well.

5 Likes

We’re safe. We’re watching the reports. So far our house seems okay. The fire was at 170k acres last night.

8 Likes

I was literally just about to message you to see if you were safe. Question for you…I have a friend whose parents retirement home is on county road 57. They cannot seem to get any info about the fire in relation to their home. Do you know if the fire has gotten to 57?

3 Likes

I don’t think so. I haven’t seen confirmed reports of the fire jumping 40. My neighbor went back into town and hasn’t reported anything like that.

5 Likes

@heckseven Okay, thanks. If you do hear anything about 57 please let me know . Please stay safe!!

2 Likes

I will let you know. So far so good.

3 Likes

@heckseven We’re heading to Steamboat tomorrow to visit family and obviously cannot take 40 like we would have so now we have to go through Walcott and up 131. I heard that parts of the town in Grand Lake was destroyed. Have you heard anything about that? Information here is really crap. I’m still trying to find out about Estes and where it stands, which has been my home away from home my entire life. I’ve heard nor seen anything about it.

3 Likes

Some homes by Columbine Lake were lost. I’m sure other structures have been lost. Grand Lake’s downtown seems to be in tact for now. I believe the lodge is also still standing. As for Estes, the spot fire that jumped the ridge is moving toward town. Sounds like humidity is slowing it, but information there is scarce. Our friends have property there that is threatened right now. Tomorrow could be rough. Will keep you updated.

6 Likes

Dreadful at the best of times, during 2020 a nightmare…

Our town was flooded very minimally, for the 3rd time in 15 years just a few weeks before the lock down. Fortunately work after 2005 and 2015 floods prevented major disaster again… At least with floods you can move stuff upstairs (if nor not Fking stupid and complacent about the warnings) and bricks dont mind a bit of water.

5 Likes

Must admit I did discreetly check for flooding possibilities in recent house purchases. We went for properties on high ground away from the coast and the river. In our climate we’re mostly spared devastating forest fires.

4 Likes

So the Germans are hoarding toilet paper again. So I learned a new phrase: Hamsterkauf. Yes, Hamstern is a verb in German, and it means hoarding (acting like a hamster).

I’ve given up trying to understand why toilet paper in particular seems to be the subject of these orgies of mass hoarding from Melbourne to Meißen, from Manchester to Malibu. Covid-19 doesn’t give you diarrhoea.

7 Likes

I’m back home now. The snow has helped significantly.

9 Likes

Everybody also hoarded pasta and disinfectants earlier this year so this german satire website came up with:

5 Likes

Hamsternudeln mit Klopapier! Guten Appetit!

Edit: out of sheer curiosity I googled on Hamsterschnitzel. The result is this masterpiece:

Zartes Hamster-Schnitzel mit Knusperpanade.

Tender hamster-schnitzel in crunchy breadcrumbs.

Not for weak stomachs or vegetarians.

2 Likes

I…I don’t know what to say to that @Bitnik other than I am really REALLY hoping this is a joke. I can’t click on it. I just can’t or I may lose it if it literally is what it says it is. :worried:

4 Likes

It’s satire. No hamsters are being eaten.

7 Likes

I am again reminded about german sense of humor and my american gullibility.

4 Likes

speaking about the german sense of humor…

3 Likes

So France went back to lockdown while I was moving in… Now I’m “trapped” in my new home, with only half of my gear, which means that I can’t build anything for a month or so… That’s sad.
At least I have some paint to do, but I think at some point I will get really bored.
Good news is: I received a fun thing today, I will talk about it tomorrow!

6 Likes

Today the Prime Minister announced that England is going to be back in lockdown for at least four weeks from Thursday 5th November. The rules will be much like last time but with new exceptions for childcare and education.

To tell the truth I really enjoyed the last lockdown. I have no car so I walk everywhere and it was really wonderful to have quiet streets to walk in. That’s a bit selfish though. I know people need to make a living and I’m highly privileged to no longer need to do all that.

4 Likes