How’s everybody holding up?

Fear? Boredom? Insanity? The world got weird quick. I know we’ve only been doing his for a bit over a month but you guys are my people, my online, not-work community. (yeah I hate Facebook but I doubt I’m the only one in this group.) Let me know you’re still there and okay.

11 Likes

Being over 60 I have more to worry about than younger people, but being retired I have little need to go anywhere and I’ve always been more at home at home than out, if you know what I mean. So this social distancing thing isn’t as radical a change for me as for many others, and I’m optimistic about keeping out of the virus’s way for a while anyway. Aside from synth building I play ukulele and morris dance and fly model rockets, and I’m already missing my uke and morris and rocket groups even though it’s only been a week or so since I saw them and it’ll be a lot longer, I suspect, before I see them again. But we stay in touch online, and this group’s a great find. I too can’t stand FB and every time I look in on mxffwxgglxr I get burned out by the few but loud entitled jerks, who fortunately are so far in short supply here. For that I’m thankful.

9 Likes

Another FaceBook hater here. Working at home is tough when there are so many DIY projects just waiting to be done. But I try. My kids are 12 and 14, so they mostly get that I have to work, even though I’m at home.

7 Likes

My life hasn’t changed a bit, honestly. I retired a few years ago and have few social contacts outside immediate family. My work as carer for an adult family member is sporadic but pervades nearly every moment of my life. Last night my sleep was punctuated by almost hourly phone calls from my sleepless and distressed offspring. Tonight has been quiet, so far.

I used to be very active online but relatively recently I ceased social networking because it was too distracting. I use a few technical forums, but this place is the only one where I’ve established much of a presence as a contributor.

Beyond the mild vexation of not being able to buy minced beef for a family member’s pet ferret yesterday, the impact on my life is nil. The ferret will have to eat minced turkey.

6 Likes

Well it’s day 8 of working from home for me, and I am going quietly insane from the isolation. I find having projects kicking around a useful distraction to stop me from just working the whole time and making myself worse.

Mind you it’s not all doom and gloom, I might actually have the time to work out why two of my tuner VCO’s tuners aren’t displaying anything, despite working perfectly otherwise. Really hoping Sam puts out his VCA’s on schedule too, that way I may actually have a fully functioning Kosmo synth before my birthday in a fortnight.

6 Likes

Oh, I’m sooo bored, and occasionally climbing the walls, but I’ll manage I guess. At least I have a job, and I don’t yet have to fill in a form before getting some air :slight_smile:

More concerned about friends and family (and everyone else in the same situation); we’re spread out across multiple countries, with some away from home stuck on the wrong side of a closed border due to travel or studies; some people asking themselves if they’re totally fucked or just slightly fucked by not being able to work for the next few months (some friends have already been given notice), friends with small businesses who’ve seen all their customers disappear and don’t think their companies will ever recover, artists taking massive financial damage from having to cancel tours and shows, etc. It’s a bit of a mess. But we’ll sort it out.

PS. If you like me listen to a lot of artists who release their stuff on bandcamp, they’re waiving their fees on all sales tomorrow. If you have some money to spare for merch, check the artist’s social media if they have a preferred seller.

6 Likes

I have m.e./cfs, been pretty much housebound for nearly three years. So little has changed except the number of visitors. Not a fb fan, too much glib. Only get about an hour a week when I’m fit to solder so very slowly building a triple 3340 oscillator with hardwired sync based on Sam’s stripboard. When bedbound I’m working on a project i called "the old android sympathy orchestra " which is a mix of pure data, sun vox, and app generation on a bunch of interconnected mobile phones, analogue filters and vca’s etc . (Very slow progress here too)
Very much enjoying this group and hope you all stay healthy.

7 Likes

I already work from home, so no changes in that aspect. I live on acreage in the woods and practice basic prepping so I did not need to run to the store for anything and can stay home for a long time. No shortage of projects to work on outside, or synth stuff. I’m under 40 with no kids. I’m considering my situation very fortunate right now, but the whole thing has me stressed out, thinking about what’s to come, seeing friends loose work.

6 Likes

Looking at my earlier comment I see that it sounds all doom and gloom. I did write and then delete a characteristically chatty comment going into all the study I’m able to do, and I should probably emphasize that I’m asocial by choice because over the decades I’ve found that I never get anything done unless I limit my social contacts.

I’m trying to compose my first piece of music, improve my playing ability, and acquire a greater knowledge of electronics (not to mention practical skills in the field) all at the same time. This forum has been a great motivation.

5 Likes

Go for it! Make sure to post it in the music share thread!

3 Likes

Also, presented as a public service announcement the following advice on how to deal with the kiddies from Mitchell & Webb:

(I recommend not watching the whole thing. I made the mistake of watching their whole “Stay Indoors” series again this morning. Its a little heavy.)
2 Likes

I thought the whole thing was an absolute hoot.

1 Like

I’m taking that tone row as my inspiration, so I’ll probably post it to the collaboration thread.

2 Likes

we’ve had two hours lobbed off work each day until further notice. Still being paid for usual hours though, so drinks all round!

5 Likes

Our university has transitioned to classes being taught through ZOOM, but university employees and slaves (PhD students) like me are trying to do as many experiments and collect as much data as possible in preparation for a full closure of our university. We are all working independently, and lab members do not see each other regularly these days.

My wife on the other hand is losing her mind. She is a violinist, and all performances have been cancelled through the end of the summer. Luckily, she is still teaching through ZOOM, but staying home all day everyday is driving her crazy.

I can’t wait until all of this is over, and hopefully it does not get too bad for everyone out there in regards to health or finances. I have friends and family in northern california and seattle, and if the rest of the country doesnt act fast, i think that smaller cities will soon be in their situation.

On the bright side, the synth subreddits are full of quarantine livestreams/videos, so at least there is new music to listen to.

2 Likes

My wife says I’ve been self-isolating in my home office/music/games room for fifteen years. I’m match-fit for this coronavirus stuff!

Edit: I’m also lucky as I managed to get one of the handful of Korg Wavestates to make it into my part of the UK before crazy time. If the panic lasts for more than six months I might just have learned how to use it.

4 Likes

That social distancing is something people on the spectrum are familiar with. Welcome to the Monkey House.

5 Likes

Grand Moff Pryde! This was a marvelous, hilarious, uncomfortable movie that gave us the insult “Toilet Traitor.”

2 Likes

Toilet trader. It was a clandestine, extremely risky, but really fun way (ahem, so I’m told) of having sex with guys before homophobia became unfashionable.

1 Like

:cowboy_hat_face: OMG Ah-I got the implication by context but heard the word differently. I guess I took it as meaning that one was betraying the intentions of their divinely-designated bodily functions. While we’re on the subject, can I get you to go back through about a dozen series of QI and clear up what Alan Davis is saying in the really big laugh lines? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like