Help finding a midi file player

Hey I need help either finding a product or diy project that can play midi files. I have found little clues of what I want here and there, but either are outdated or have limitations to them that hinder them a bit. I’m hoping for something that will use a micro sd card and can load midi files saved on the card and you’re able to select files on it, or possible even save sequences? I’m not sure about the direction to go to or what to look into especially if it’s in the realm of diy which is always suggested to use a Teensy or Arduino, but I haven’t found particular projects that are what I am looking for and they required to be connected to a laptop or computer, or require that every midi file be uploaded one at a time. I don’t have a laptop and all I really have is an iPhone which was suggested to use a usb dongle on it, but as far as an app to use or program, haven’t really found a good candidate. Can anyone help or suggest anything because I am a little stuck here.

2 Likes

First thing is that MIDI will only ever give you some note on/off commands and some control information (modulation, pitch bend, etc.) Fortunately there are fully developed sound engines such as fluidsynth that will express the MIDI stream as sound in a way you can learn to control. This software is mature enough to work well in embedded chips, and you can create your own MIDI library if you need to.

https://www.fluidsynth.org/

2 Likes

I took a quick look at it and it sounds interesting, but I would assume that this would have to be run on a computer right? Like after doing some digging, the closest thing I found was the Yamaha midi data filer MDF3 which is pretty much what I want but the issue is that it uses floppy disk and can only play one midi track

Maybe have a snoop here? I believe Sam used to have a pretty nice midi player in Kosmo.

2 Likes

Yeah I did actually go back to that thread a few times and it did kind of lead me to the right direction, but there is a bit of a lack of schematics (unless I really missed them) or more information on the project and the few times I attempted it, it didnt work. What is funny is the midi player that was mentioned that Sam had/used is pretty much the same as the YMNK midi looper/sequencer except with maybe less buttons or functions. They both are live loopers/sequencers which isn’t what I’m looking for, but in case anyone would want the stripboard layout of Sam’s version, I would post it here with the YMNK version, and maybe the code for the YMNK may work for Sam’s. I don’t know or have tried it. I did mention that the Yamaha midi data filer MDF3 is pretty much the closest thing I have found to what I wanted, problem is that it uses floppy disks and is only limited to one midi track. Its such a shame that these sort of devices/products are kind of hard to come by or fine, or you would have to have devices that have a similar but limited function as what I want, so I’m hoping with enough digging maybe I can make or find something soon.

1 Like

For some value of computer. Here’s a tiny, inexpensive computer (Raspberry Pi Zero W) that runs fluidsynth.

1 Like

Hey guys so big update on this after several hours going down a rabbit hole. I think I found exactly what it is I and maybe several others have been looking for. I stumbled onto this YouTube channel called
pipeorganphil who made a project exactly to the requirements/specifications I wanted and a little more, a midi file player that can play midi files from an sd card. And after doing some digging into a video he did demoing the midi player he made, it leads to a pdf that details the functions and even a small diagram of the schematic, but no code. That is when I discovered it leads to an older site that the project is based on that does have full schematics and even the firmware and I believe the BOM of the midi player. I will provide the link to that specific video and the site if anyone wants to look at it as well as some pictures if anyone wants to look at it. Also, the same YouTuber might sell PCBs of this Midi file player on ebay somewhere as he lists an item number for it.

https://www.mikrocontroller.net/articles/Midi_Rekorder_mit_MMC/SD-Karte#Download_des_Projekts_(inkl._Code,_Schaltplan)
400px-Eagle-schematic

4 Likes

Things is, does anyone know how to install the code onto the ATMEGA 8/168 chip from the files on the website?

1 Like

I believe the instructions are there on the website, in German.

I looked through it and downloaded the files provided but have no idea what files to flash onto the ATMEGA 8 or how to. I’m used to arduino files just being you click on them and install them from there, but not this kind, especially since reading the website on the “compile” section, its talking about AVR studio which I don’t know what it is or where to get it

1 Like

The information is there. My German is not good but I was able to understand it well enough using an online translation service. You would need to know how to install a binary file on an AVR processor. This knowledge is widely available (in English and many other languages.) You may also need some more esoteric skills like connecting a crystal to the AVR, and setting the fuses correctly. In short, this isn’t a good choice for your first non-Arduino AVR project.

It took me a long time to work out how to do this, but my son breezed through it in an afternoon. He’s in his thirties, his mother’s brother is a stone cold genius. YMMV.

Dang I was looking through it too and its a lot to go over just to install the code, especially since its a bit outdated and I can’t even find an ATMEGA 168 chip on an arduino board or anything like that. I saw that it’s possible to install the code onto an ATMEGA 328 chip which the arduino uno does use, and since the 168 and 328 are kind of the same, I’m wondering if the code can work on that through the Arduino coding software

1 Like

It would probably work on any Arduino Uno or similar board, but I can’t guarantee it. I recommend emailing the author and asking if they can recommend a software/hardware combination that would work.

Actually, another small update, I did find a project that is pretty much what I wanted using an Arduino Uno that does play midi files from an SD card, except you cant cycle between files and doesn’t have a display. I’ll still include it, but I’m not sure how to modify the code to add buttons that can cycle between files

2 Likes

I don’t think that project does what you want. It appears to retrieve a MIDI file and send it to a MIDI player. It doesn’t produce sound, only sequences of MIDI data.

1 Like

Oh yeah that’s exactly what I’ve been looking for! As long as it plays midi files from an SD card and can control my synths it’s all good in my books!

1 Like

If you’re working with AVR chips/boards you need this. I believe the latest incarnation is called ‘Microchip Studio.’

Sorry I completely misunderstood what you need. Have you looked at midiflow? If so, what does this not do for you?

https://www.midiflow.com/documentation/

Oh I havent heard of Midiflow, this allows you to just play midi files using an apple usb dongle to connect to synths?

1 Like

I believe so. I encourage you to ask around before you spend money.

1 Like