My Mini Dexed Project

I have been playing a little with Mini Dexed, I am doing some things to make it a useable item and part of that is building it into an actual keyboard. The old M-Audio Oxygen 49 is my wepon of choice.

After getting the actual MINI dexed working, I needed to work out the keybed on the Oxygen, It’s taken 5 attempts to cut and shut a video, what with timeline issues, deleting content, forgetting to record on OBS, audio issues… It’s delayed progress on the actual project more than expected.

MY MINI DEXED KEYBED

3 Likes

Can you control the filter and envelopes etc via midi on minidexed?

I have been thinking about building one but would ideally like to have some fixed controls on the unit. Was wondering about building a midi controller and midi merge in a self-contained minidexed build that I could plug a keyboard into.

1 Like

There’s a good mini dexed wiki out there that’s packed full of answers and take a look at some of @craigyb 's work here for superb midi controller projects that are sure to inspire you (they do for me).

I’m not sure any of my editor projects are suitable for minidexed, it’s been a while since I looked at minidexed, but I’m not a 100% sure where they are upto with editing of parameters yet, could be they are fully implemented.

1 Like

I was refering to your building of midi control surfaces for soft synths. Mini dexed can handle prog change and cc i believe (see the aforementioned wiki).
If its got a midi value you can make a knob to vary it. I’d like to add individual screens, detune and pan knobs for each instance of mini dexed but then the control panel will look like a megadrone clone with lots of wee displays.

Yeah I know, I was saying that I wasn’t sure how in depth midi editing is yet on the minidexed. If it’s implemented over cc or sysex then yep my editor can handle it.

1 Like

I just checked and there would appear to be sysex and cc, so now my whiteboard is covered in scribbles about a hardware modular editor idea and the project pile grows ever upwards. Cheers

1 Like

Ah great, I’ll check the wiki.

Thinking about it, I can probably do a simple notes and volts midi controller and implement midi thru, then it can be a standalone unit with midi in on the front.

1 Like

Sounds good. While looking at the notes&volts site your old pal Dave did a brilliant intro to using PureData patches to mock up the controls he planned to add to his teensy synth. Pure data is simple and using it to test out your planned controls helps plan the hardware and you can see how stuff behaves before the controller build.